• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'British Democracy Is a Farce'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'British Democracy Is a Farce'

The World from Berlin: 'British Democracy Is a Farce' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

"It's common knowledge that British politicians kowtow to the tabloid press. But that the police were also serving these papers gives the News of the World hacking scandal a new dimension. This isn't about small-time officers locating celebrity mobile phones and betraying the phone numbers of the royal family for reporters at Murdoch's big papers. The country's top police officials suppressed evidence they've had since 2005 and hindered investigations."

"Their excuse -- that Rupert Murdoch's company News International (a subsidiary of his News Corporation) was uncooperative -- is a declaration of bankruptcy. Of course those guilty of crimes aren't eager to help the police."

"The News of the World case has shown the British public that their democracy is a farce, with power-hungry politicians who bow to the most loathsome tabloids and money-grubbing police who hide the crimes of these papers. The investigations that Prime Minister Cameron has called for make sense only when they include all sides and lead to consequences. Most of the investigations to date … give no cause for optimism."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

If phone hacking and police bribes are the worst things to happen to British Democracy then I think we are OK.

Besides, why are the Germans so concerned about British politics? We sure as hell don't care what goes on over there.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Besides, why are the Germans so concerned about British politics? We sure as hell don't care what goes on over there.
      They're very interested, half of the royal family are German you know.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        They're very interested, half of the royal family are German you know.
        Which half? Hewitt or Windsor?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

I thought the Germans would be too busy running the EU and subsidising the eurozone to worry about the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
            Which half? Hewitt or Windsor?
            I'm sure you know your history but Windsor was a name created after the World War 1 when the names "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" and "von Wettin" simply weren't working for the people of the Britain and the British Empire.

But then again lots of people don't get on with their relations.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I thought the Germans would be too busy running the EU and subsidising the eurozone to worry about the UK.
              Many of the Germans in my office make a better Brit than me with their poster mugs and knowledge of the royal family.

Comment

I hardly think the Bosch are in any position to question the "Democracy in Action" of any other nation, not with their track record.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Many of the Germans in my office make a better Brit than me with their poster mugs and knowledge of the royal family.
                  yeah but I wear jackboots and have a little moustache and a swaztica tatooed on my bum, but that hardly makes me a nazi does it ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    I hardly think the Bosch are in any position to question the "Democracy in Action" of any other nation, not with their track record.
                    I supported the protesting for the UK not to go war with Iraq way back. Don't think one person in Scotland wanted that war in their name. What is democratic about that?

Comment

Working...
                    X