• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Torrenting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torrenting

I've just started torrenting. I've downloaded Vuze and it seems to be working OK.

Obviously I thought I'd start over at Pirate Bay, a small group of lovely Swedish fellas I've heard of who 'ha ha' in the face adversity, copyright and the 1 year jail sentence they all got last year.

I have bugger all idea what I'm downloading which is why I'm running it inside a VM but if it comes off I believe it's the latest Harry Potter movie. Where do I send the payment?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I've got the latest one downloading just now usually decent quality from the site I use (torrentday.com)

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I've got the latest one downloading just now usually decent quality from the site I use (torrentday.com)
      [Dumb Question]WTF am I actually downloading. DivdXrip???-ExtraTorrentRGHow do you play it?[/Dumb Question]

[/Bravado] Yeah, yeah, do it all the time. Piece of piss. [Bravado]

Comment

Worked ok.

Comment

Just out of interest, if you could watch that film legally for say £10 or even £5 streamed to your PC would you do that rather than torrent it? It seems to me that once you get to the sort of prices that LoveFilm for instance charge for (admittedly not the latest releases) then there is little point in the risk of torrenting.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
            Just out of interest, if you could watch that film legally for say £10 or even £5 streamed to your PC would you do that rather than torrent it? It seems to me that once you get to the sort of prices that LoveFilm for instance charge for (admittedly not the latest releases) then there is little point in the risk of torrenting.
            This all stems from our V+ box.

I'd like to get rid of our V+ box and we have a number of films we would like to burn off to DVD for the kids. Having discovered I didn't have the right scart lead, DVD writer blah blah blah, I thought I'd have a look at torrenting them. To be fair, I don't really bother with these things as I hate interacting on the internet with my main PC in case I pick up a virus or malware. So I'm happy to pay £4/£5 to have a film streamed, but the kids want to watch the same movie over and over and over, and to be honest I want that movie available on every device I have (iPhone,Ipad, Apple Mac, TV, DVD, PC).

Comment

Very easy to get your IP sniffed when using Torrents, had a letter from my ISP several years ago about me sharing illegal material. Shat myself and changed ISP very soon after

I do still use torrents but only if thousands sharing a file, therefore I get good d/l speed on it, restrict the upload massively and then delete the torrent as soon as the file has finished downloading.

For totally secure downloads have a look at Usenet over SSL.

You might like to try uTorrent, is a much cleaner app than Vuze, which was OK when it was Azureus but seems a bit bit bloated now.

Comment

Safest bet to avoid detection is to hook into the neighbour's wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Very easy to get your IP sniffed when using Torrents, had a letter from my ISP several years ago about me sharing illegal material. Shat myself and changed ISP very soon after

I do still use torrents but only if thousands sharing a file, therefore I get good d/l speed on it, restrict the upload massively and then delete the torrent as soon as the file has finished downloading.

For totally secure downloads have a look at Usenet over SSL.

You might like to try uTorrent, is a much cleaner app than Vuze, which was OK when it was Azureus but seems a bit bit bloated now.
                  Cheers.

My IP is disguised. Learn't that off here.

Comment

I started torrenting a few months ago.

In my case, I felt I was 'forced' to by UK broadcasters due to their poor scheduling of US shows as well as the lengthy delay in broadcasting the new series.

I use uTorrent which, as has been said, is very easy to use.

One question, how do you turn on encryption?

Comment

Working...
                    X