• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outdoor GPS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor GPS

I need something that displays current, average and top speed as well as distance covered. Anything else is a bonus.

I'll be using it for land sailing and mountain biking so it needs to be mountable and ideally I don't want to spend much more than £100.

So far I've come up with the Garmin Foretrex 301, any others to consider?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

My Forerunner 305 has been faultless since I got it, has faithfully logged every inch of my bike rides - the software is a bit tulip though, SportTracks is good

It's kept on working even though I ran over it with a golf buggy and smashed the screen..

Comment

I use a Forerunner 305.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Been googling all evening and I'm still confused as to whether the Foretrex or Forerunner would be better for my needs. The one conclusion I have come to is Garmin need a competitor.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Thanks guys.

Been googling all evening and I'm still confused as to whether the Foretrex or Forerunner would be better for my needs. The one conclusion I have come to is Garmin need a competitor.
          Magellan also do outdoor units - I haven't got any experience of them though!

Comment

As said by oversteer said the garmin software is rotten. You can plug in a course for the virtual runner but you cannot compare the runs on your PC by course when you get back, went for a run in London recently and it kicked off with "have you geographically moved since your last run" error messages after 30 minutes into the run and you are thinking "I paid a decent amount for you to tell me where I am".

WIth the 305 I have to leave it outside for a minute to pick up the satellites, from what they claim the new one is more able to pick up the location.

I mostly use it for distance calculation not for speed measurements 'cos I am hitting 40 now and cannot run that quick anymore.

Trees really mess it up but then again the new one might be more able.

Comment

And the next time I am in London and plan a run on the tourist map please tell me to check the scale first "just going to go up here, along this river" which unexpectedly turned into a 21 mile run.

Comment

I've got a Garmin quest which seems to hold up in all but the densest forest.

It's pretty old, and the mapping is not great (detailed maps cost a fortune) but will cover what you need admirably. On ebay for under £100.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X