PDA

View Full Version : Scooterscot's love affair with the Germans - how long will it last?

sasguru
18th July 2011, 08:46
Scooter is like a blushing bride about to be taken up the Oxo Tower by the Teutonic beast. When will he see the light?
Vote now.

Doggy Styles
18th July 2011, 08:51
The single currency crisis won't be pretty. Which hasn't happened yet.

MarillionFan
18th July 2011, 08:51
Scooter is like a blushing bride about to be taken up the Oxo Tower by the Teutonic beast. When will he see the light?
Vote now.

:nazi::nazi::nazi::nazi::nazi::nazi::nazi::nazi::n azi:

"Deutschland oh Deutschland"

sasguru
18th July 2011, 08:54
"Deutschland oh Deutschland"

IS that what he moans as he's taken up the Oxo?
:laugh:laugh:laugh

Pondlife
18th July 2011, 08:55
Did you buy that property in Berlin Sas? :p

sasguru
18th July 2011, 08:58
Did you buy that property in Berlin Sas? :p

Nah figured out there was not much of a return whether in capital appreciation or rent rises.
Berlin is a bit of a doley, dropout city: the Brighton of Germany if you like.

alreadypacked
18th July 2011, 09:01
Being Irish I have lots of friends who have moved away.

Most like where they have moved too and settle in, you speak to them and they are happy with their new life.

Then, like me, they wake up one morning and decide they can't stand the place anymore and go back to Ireland. Only to repeat the exercise a few years later.

Others don't have the option, don't have the money or the skills to go back. Research on the Irish in the UK shows they live 10 less than the Irish in Ireland.

Scooter, always have a way out, so you don't feel trapped.

BlasterBates
18th July 2011, 09:01
Until the next downturn. The Germany economy will crash big time once a new Red-Green government takes over. The last time they got in unemployment spiralled to nearly 5 million.

Pondlife
18th July 2011, 09:02
Nah figured out there was not much of a return whether in capital appreciation or rent rises.
Berlin is a bit of a doley, dropout city: the Brighton of Germany if you like.

Ribbing aside, what's changed your mind over the past year?

sasguru
18th July 2011, 09:06
Ribbing aside, what's changed your mind over the past year?

Just being risk averse: realising I don't need or want to take risks anymore.
Plus I'm looking at buying a property in Oporto and that's difficult enough

PS I still like Berlin though.

Pondlife
18th July 2011, 09:09
Just being risk averse: realising I don't need or want to take risks anymore.
Plus I'm looking at buying a property in Oporto and that's difficult enough

PS I still like Berlin though.

Fair enough.

I've never been so can't comment.

sasguru
18th July 2011, 09:11
Fair enough.

I've never been so can't comment.

You ought to go. If you like a good nightlife, good beer, good food and a relaxed atmosphere then its great for a city break.
Although there are prettier and more cultural cities.

chef
18th July 2011, 10:23
Just curious, why do you see Germany due to have a big failure when the German culture from givernment to the average man on the street works under a very prudent risk averse mentality whereby credit cards are directly linked to bank accounts and paid in full at month end, overdrafts are seen as "not my money" and it is seen as normal to rent for most of one's life or otherwise buy a property and move/sell only when necessary giving the country a good point to avert the downturns and prudently plan for the future. In manufacturing terms, Germany has not sold all assets and manufacturing is proving a good source of GDP.

Compare the above to the uk where it is society norm to have thousands in loans and on credit cards, many only repaying the bare minimum and therefore paying huge amounts of interest, the majority of people buy houses to the value of 4 or 5 times there yearly income when credit is cheap on the gamble that they can sell and make a profit and move up the ladder with ease and when a financial crisis occurs therefore those that have borrowed big on houses or have a lot outstanding in unsecured loans and credit cards feel the pinch more. In manufacturing terms, erm the uk has not real manufacturing or production anymore, not enough atleast to keep the country afloat.

Agreed it is unlikely (or atleast shouldn't be) the majority of those on this board but I wouldn't say we represent society as a whole by any means.

Agreed Germany is the EU leader and therefore is expected to pay the lions share of any EU bailouts, but, isn't it possible that Germany could leave the Euro being the strongest and not suffer the same money drain on all bonds etc. that would occur if one of the weakest countries were to leave? and also don't forget that the Uk is not by any means immune to any EU bailouts, I can't find any figures so far but it would be interesting to see how much teh Uk and Germany have committed to this "EU problem only" to date.

DimPrawn
18th July 2011, 10:26
sasguru showing himself as the Cretin he really is.

He thinks the magic money printers in the City are better wealth generators than world beating engineering companies in Germany and that the average up-to-the-eyeballs debt ridden illiterate Chavs we have here as a workforce are superior to hoards of educated German engineers.

No wonder he's banished to a tacky overpriced shed at home.

:laugh

sasguru
18th July 2011, 10:41
sasguru showing himself as the Cretin he really is.

He thinks the magic money printers in the City are better wealth generators than world beating engineering companies in Germany and that the average up-to-the-eyeballs debt ridden illiterate Chavs we have here as a workforce are superior to hoards of educated German engineers.

No wonder he's banished to a tacky overpriced shed at home.

:spel hordes.
You may be right about the illiterate chavs, since you clearly are one.

:laugh:laugh

The City has been a brilliant wealth generator for me. That's why I can spend £50K on a posh shed in the garden of my £1million + home.
HTH.

sasguru
18th July 2011, 10:50
Just curious, why do you see Germany due to have a big failure when the German culture from givernment to the average man on the street works under a very prudent risk averse mentality .

Perhaps in the long run the Germans will have a big failure precisely because they are risk averse.
The Uk was the first developed nation to have a post-industrial economy just as it was the first the first to have an industrial economy. Germany is always about 50 years behind.
I predict in 50 years, the share of manuafacturing as a percentage of the German economy will fall drastically*

* since automation will erode any cultural competitive advantage the Germans might have. Companies are already building reliability into the manufacturing process so that you can build a reliable car anywhere in the world from India to Africa. The process can only accelerate.

Clippy
18th July 2011, 10:56
Scooter is the modern version of Christopher Columbus.

Now that he's discovered Germany, I wonder what he'll find next?

His ar*e or his elbow?

doodab
18th July 2011, 10:58
Rates here are generally higher than in the UK which more than cancels out the extra tax. Not to mention that if you are married and have a family you're actually going to pay less tax overall than you will in the UK. A lot of stuff is also cheaper. The end result is that if my family moved here my disposable income would have been about €2000 per month higher than in the UK.

Having to go back is a PITB.

sasguru
18th July 2011, 11:13
Rates here are generally higher than in the UK ....

Really? Higher than London? In what areas?

MarillionFan
18th July 2011, 11:16

http://www.aufpet.com/img/xmasS32.jpg

DodgyAgent
18th July 2011, 12:00
http://www.aufpet.com/img/xmasS32.jpg

My second favourite TV series.

Anyway back on topic. What happens when all the countries to who Germany have lent money (to buy German goods) go bust and cannot buy any more er German goods?

TimberWolf
18th July 2011, 12:10

Anyway back on topic. What happens when all the countries to who Germany have lent money (to buy German goods) go bust and cannot buy any more er German goods?

The Germans lend them some more?

sasguru
18th July 2011, 12:12

You make a good point. The German economy is over-reliant on exports and thus vulnerable to downturns in other parts of the world.
Here is a good article on prospects for the German economy in the medium to long run:

AICGS: ANALYSES : The German Economy: Performance and Prospects, By Dr. Stephen Silvia, October 1, 2010 (http://www.aicgs.org/analysis/c/20yearsunity/silvia.aspx)

"This leaves the old German stalwart, exports, as the sole source of potential future demand. There are many indications, however, that the export well has finally dried up. Austerity predominates within the European Union, as mentioned above. Germany cannot count on future exchange-rate depreciation to produce an expansion of export markets beyond Europe. The euro has recovered 10 percent of its value versus the dollar since the depth of the Greek crisis in the spring. The dollar is likely to wane further in coming months as the U.S. economy continues to falter and political deadlock intensifies after the November election. Thus, the U.S. is not a promising market to absorb additional German exports. China is unlikely to let the Yuan appreciate substantially, despite considerable U.S. pressure. Making further headway in China will therefore prove difficult. Russia remains a relatively small and highly erratic export market. India and Brazil alone are simply too small to sustain additional German growth. Africa is a long way from generating significant demand. In sum, Germany has nowhere to turn to expand export sales.

"

DodgyAgent
18th July 2011, 14:34
You make a good point. The German economy is over-reliant on exports and thus vulnerable to downturns in other parts of the world.
Here is a good article on prospects for the German economy in the medium to long run:

AICGS: ANALYSES : The German Economy: Performance and Prospects, By Dr. Stephen Silvia, October 1, 2010 (http://www.aicgs.org/analysis/c/20yearsunity/silvia.aspx)

"This leaves the old German stalwart, exports, as the sole source of potential future demand. There are many indications, however, that the export well has finally dried up. Austerity predominates within the European Union, as mentioned above. Germany cannot count on future exchange-rate depreciation to produce an expansion of export markets beyond Europe. The euro has recovered 10 percent of its value versus the dollar since the depth of the Greek crisis in the spring. The dollar is likely to wane further in coming months as the U.S. economy continues to falter and political deadlock intensifies after the November election. Thus, the U.S. is not a promising market to absorb additional German exports. China is unlikely to let the Yuan appreciate substantially, despite considerable U.S. pressure. Making further headway in China will therefore prove difficult. Russia remains a relatively small and highly erratic export market. India and Brazil alone are simply too small to sustain additional German growth. Africa is a long way from generating significant demand. In sum, Germany has nowhere to turn to expand export sales.

"

The question you should have asked is:

"Because Pooperscoop cant make friends in Germany he is having to convince himself that moving there was wothwhile"

sasguru
18th July 2011, 14:40

"Because Pooperscoop cant make friends in Germany he is having to convince himself that moving there was wothwhile"

It's strike him one boring Sunday a few months from now that Germany is dullsville central. :laugh:laugh

Clippy
18th July 2011, 14:57

darmstadt
18th July 2011, 15:52
It's strike him one boring Sunday a few months from now that Germany is dullsville central. :laugh:laugh

Wrong, I've been here over 22 years now and I can tell you its a lot better than the UK, I will not be coming back to that place to live but will to visit (even then I can't wait to get back to a civilized country.)

sasguru
18th July 2011, 16:00
Wrong, I've been here over 22 years now and I can tell you its a lot better than the UK, I will not be coming back to that place to live but will to visit (even then I can't wait to get back to a civilized country.)

Silly statement and a bit of a generalisation - it depends what you do, what you earn and where you live, who you know, what your hobbies are, what your personality is like etc. etc.

DodgyAgent
18th July 2011, 16:12
Silly statement and a bit of a generalisation - it depends what you do, what you earn and where you live, who you know, what your hobbies are, what your personality is like etc. etc.

I think it is pretty well proven that those people who move and live abroad and who enter into the lifestyle and spirit of their new country and "just get on with it" are the ones who make the right decisions. I am not sure those who hang around their previous country telling them how wonderfully green the other side is are very happy.

DimPrawn
18th July 2011, 16:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkismiXva3M&feature=related

:music:

sasguru
18th July 2011, 16:18
I think it is pretty well proven that those people who move and live abroad and who enter into the lifestyle and spirit of their new country and "just get on with it" are the ones who make the right decisions. I am not sure those who hang around their previous country telling them how wonderfully green the other side is are very happy.

WHS.

BlasterBates
18th July 2011, 17:00
Why live in Germany when you can live in Tent City (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/aug/16/london-commuters-living-under-canvas)

MrMark
18th July 2011, 17:04

You've got me thinking now. What could possibly be DA's number 1 TV series?

I'm torn between Minder and Only Fools n Horses.

MrMark
18th July 2011, 17:08
Incidentally, I have this theory that people are born with an ideal country-belonging, but they don't necessarily live there, or even get the chance to visit.

For example I always feel I belong in central Spain. I suspect DA or SG are fine right in middle England. It could be Scooterscot's instinctive place is Germany, but he needs to justify it to his countrymen.

AtW? Out of this world, man.

minestrone
18th July 2011, 17:36
I would love to live in California and I think that comes from listening to so much Californian music, it is probably a dump.

Kraftwerk said that when they heard the Beach Boys they thought of California and they wanted to write music that made people think of Germany. I think I am more interested in beaches than autobahns.

minestrone
18th July 2011, 17:39
AtW? Out of this world, man.

Russia must be a complete crap hole if you are living the dream in Birmingham and strive for cheap sofas from bargain basement stores.

Cliphead
18th July 2011, 17:43
I've worked and lived in several countries over the years but where would I consider living permanently?

I like Spain but not sure for the long term, Germany I would definitley consider. Canada I eventually found to be dull, the US too freaky at times especially California but I can see the attraction.

I will likely move to somewhere in Europe but plenty of time to think about where.

scooterscot
18th July 2011, 18:17
Woa, where did this thread come from.

It would seem the green eyed monster has awoken.

Should I come running back to London for an underpaid contract living in an overpriced overcrowded city full or bitter people?

Er, no, we'd rather be happy.

sasguru
18th July 2011, 18:43
Woa, where did this thread come from.

It would seem the green eyed monster has awoken.

Should I come running back to London for an underpaid contract living in an overpriced overcrowded city full or bitter people?

Er, no, we'd rather be happy.

To answer your first question:
Probably from the fact that all your posts nowadays are on a single theme: how crap the UK is and how wonderful wherever you are is. Which begs the question: why don't you find a nice German forum to post on?

And to answer your second question:
Given your IQ, you're right in thinking you would get a poorly paid contract, if at all in the City. The rest of us are doing very nicely indeed in one of the most vibrant cities on the planet.

HTH

minestrone
18th July 2011, 18:57
I would rather be in London that Scotland but then I would rather be with my family than in London so I am stuck.

I used to work with Mannesmann Demag and they were the most dull formal uncreative people you could ever work with.

Germans are all about refinement of what they create which is not a bad thing, people in the UK are more about the creative leap, going past the design iteration.

DodgyAgent
18th July 2011, 21:30
To answer your first question:
Probably from the fact that all your posts nowadays are on a single theme: how crap the UK is and how wonderful wherever you are is. Which begs the question: why don't you find a nice German forum to post on?

And to answer your second question:
Given your IQ, you're right in thinking you would get a poorly paid contract, if at all in the City. The rest of us are doing very nicely indeed in one of the most vibrant cities on the planet.

HTH

There are also many thousands of people who move to live and work in third world countries that are stricken with poverty and corruption that cannot materially be compared favourably to the UK, yet they would not live anywhere else. nor do they constantly carp on about how awful their home countries are.

darmstadt
19th July 2011, 14:32

Not as silly as this statement:

The City has been a brilliant wealth generator for me. That's why I can spend £50K on a posh shed in the garden of my £1million + home.

sasguru
19th July 2011, 14:52
Not as silly as this statement:

I'm sorry but I fail to see what's silly about a simple statement of fact(s)?

darmstadt
19th July 2011, 16:30
I'm sorry but I fail to see what's silly about a simple statement of fact(s)?

Is it fact? How do we know? Is this an example of the British oneupmanship we hear about? My car, my house, my boat, my wife...A sad example of materialism where you have to point out that you have a shed which costs as much as a house up north in an overly priced building to keep you warm during those bleak midwinters that seem to occur with so much regularity now (on a bloody Internet forum as well!)

sasguru
19th July 2011, 16:35
Is it fact? How do we know? Is this an example of the British oneupmanship we hear about? My car, my house, my boat, my wife...A sad example of materialism where you have to point out that you have a shed which costs as much as a house up north in an overly priced building to keep you warm during those bleak midwinters that seem to occur with so much regularity now (on a bloody Internet forum as well!)

Your statement says more about you than me. I'm merely stating a fact - how you take it is up to you.
FWIW I'm not very materialistic, my good fortune is down to good luck and being born at the right time to cash in on a property boom rather than any intrinsic business nous.
But it's worth remembering that life in London can be every bit as good , or better, than life in Germany.

darrenb
19th July 2011, 16:57

I am in Berlin, one of the slowest places in Germany in terms of rates and finding a job.

I am earning more here than I would in central London. Even after taxes. And that is simply because of the way the spivocracy has ruined the English economy.

People here are pretty nice, and they think English people are "clever". They say to me, "What on earth are you doing here, when you could be earning a ton of cash in London." I just shrug modestly and say, "Well you've got to factor in the relatively low cost of living here, and it's not all about the money anyway."

I'm just amazed any of you chaps are still in Britain. :wave: Thank you for soldiering on, it is terribly brave of you. Please maintain some semblance of order, as I will want something to come back to at the beginning of the next economic cycle in 2025.

At the current time I am busy trying to negotiate my contract length downwards.

scooterscot
19th July 2011, 17:37
I am in Berlin, one of the slowest places in Germany in terms of rates and finding a job.

I am earning more here than I would in central London. Even after taxes. And that is simply because of the way the spivocracy has ruined the English economy.

People here are pretty nice, and they think English people are "clever". They say to me, "What on earth are you doing here, when you could be earning a ton of cash in London." I just shrug modestly and say, "Well you've got to factor in the relatively low cost of living here, and it's not all about the money anyway."

I'm just amazed any of you chaps are still in Britain. :wave: Thank you for soldiering on, it is terribly brave of you. Please maintain some semblance of order, as I will want something to come back to at the beginning of the next economic cycle in 2025.

At the current time I am busy trying to negotiate my contract length downwards.

:yay:

People of Berlin are very friendly indeed. We lived near Nollendorf although often went for a night out in prenzlauer berg or visited a friend who has recently opened a cake shop in friedrichshain, always welcomed.

Could you imagine a profitable London underground railway based on the honour system!?

sasguru
19th July 2011, 18:07
:yay:

People of Berlin are very friendly indeed. We lived near Nollendorf although often went for a night out in prenzlauer berg or visited a friend who has recently opened a cake shop in friedrichshain, always welcomed.

I'm glad you found a friend who always welcomed you. Bit far to go to Berlin for that though, you must be one of the unfriendliest people in the world.
Who knows, maybe you'll find another friend in Munchen.

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

shaunbhoy
19th July 2011, 18:13

All a sign of the huge insecurities that surround sasguru I'm afraid Darmstadt.
It could properly be defined as a personality disorder, if it were ever to be established that he possesses a personality. So far that is looking unlikely though.
Just humour him............everyone else does......even his nurses. That is why they let him on the Internet if he finishes up all of his dinner.

:wink

sasguru
19th July 2011, 18:18
I am earning more here than I would in central London. .

That's almost certainly because you are mediocre.
The Germans are so short of IT bods they'll pay over the odds for anybody.
But they won't pay you the up-to-thousands per day you'll get in the City if you're top notch.

My point is if you're the best, London will pay the best - and maybe Frankfurt for that matter.

Of course you're right its not all about money - but I'd rather earn the money in the City when I'm young then retire in luxury to Berlin or wherever if that took my fancy.

shaunbhoy
19th July 2011, 18:52
Of course you're right its not all about money - but I'd rather earn the money in the City when I'm young

Yeah, you go for it sas. We all think you are "special".

http://funnymormons.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/napoleon_dynamite.jpg

ThomasSoerensen
19th July 2011, 19:18
But they won't pay you the up-to-thousands per day you'll get in the City if you're top notch.

My point is if you're the best, London will pay the best - and maybe Frankfurt for that matter.

Of course you're right its not all about money - but I'd rather earn the money in the City when I'm young then retire in luxury to Berlin or wherever if that took my fancy.

You don't need to suck up to me. I will still not be your friend.
FOAD

By the way, there is a spelling error in your juvenile poll, fix it moron.

sasguru
19th July 2011, 19:57
You don't need to suck up to me. I will still not be your friend.
FOAD

By the way, there is a spelling error in your juvenile poll, fix it moron.

Thanks for proving my point that the Germans will hire any mediocrity going as they're so desperate.
:rollin::rollin::rollin:

darmstadt
19th July 2011, 20:03

Sorry but the City doesn't pay that much, not in my area anyway. UK agents ring me up quite often about various positions in the City yet can't match my rate, even when I'm working in the middle of nowhere Germany. Their excuse is that they can get someone cheaper local, yet they still have to ring me up. I've worked in the City and quite honestly wouldn't do it again.

sasguru
19th July 2011, 20:13
Sorry but the City doesn't pay that much, not in my area anyway. UK agents ring me up quite often about various positions in the City yet can't match my rate, even when I'm working in the middle of nowhere Germany. Their excuse is that they can get someone cheaper local, yet they still have to ring me up. I've worked in the City and quite honestly wouldn't do it again.

What are your skills/what do you do? Clearly the City rates vary according to perceived value.
You're making another asinine statement comparing "the City" with Germany.

darrenb
19th July 2011, 20:44

And of course UK agents try to flog some German jobs as well at post-crisis UK rates, so as to pocket the difference. Advice to anyone thinking about leaving the UK: don't use an English goon for a job on the Continent.

scooterscot
19th July 2011, 21:30

Agree.

In fact I'm in the process of completing a London contract at the minute whilst working in a far away land. Charging a fixed price for the job. What strikes me is they could not find a candidate in the whole of the UK for the position. Clients are choosing very carefully who they shall employ and don't want to spend top dollar on agent fees.

scooterscot
19th July 2011, 21:34
And of course UK agents try to flog some German jobs as well at post-crisis UK rates, so as to pocket the difference. Advice to anyone thinking about leaving the UK: don't use an English goon for a job on the Continent.

For sure.

Story about that, English agent attempted to secure my Munich position but did not want to use them, it felt like dealing with dell boy.

I told them i'd find another agent willing to deal with the client. They told me you'll never be successful etc. In fact they became very aggressive on the other end of the phone.

Signed with a German agency 24 hours later, who had not one contractor on site.

darmstadt
20th July 2011, 10:25
You're making another asinine statement comparing "the City" with Germany.

Weren't you doing that just here:

chef
21st July 2011, 05:52
London pays better than Germany??? I think not, in my field I've spent the last 2.5yrs working/living in Germany and just 2days working in the Uk. Agents have tried to tempt me to take Uk contracts but the rate is usually circa 100GBP per day less than I'm on here and they expect an all inclusive price rather than rate+expenses.
Thanks but I'm very happy with my German lifestyle, when I go back to the Uk and mix with my old circle of friends I realise I made the right choice and this doesn't seem likely to change in the near future.
Sas, you're talking shite as always.

Churchill
21st July 2011, 06:17

*That* was a statement you illiterate cretin! No wonder you're *just* an "agent". :hug:

DodgyAgent
21st July 2011, 06:31
*That* was a statement you illiterate cretin! No wonder you're *just* an "agent". :hug:

Where have you been shorty? (statement and question :happy )

Churchill
21st July 2011, 06:32
Where have you been shorty? (statement and question :happy )

Nope, not been to Shorty. Although, I do believe it's a very nice place.

:D