• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relief for school fees?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relief for school fees?

Having a limited company, i want to make a contributions to my Nephew's school fees and wondered if there is any tax-efficient method of doing this?

Either by paying from the company or if that is not possible, is there any relief for a personal contribution from my net income?

I believe a 'deed of covenant' was scrapped years ago?

I very much doubt it. My accountant uses the rule for anything, "Is it solely for the benefit of the company" I cant see how you could justify this. Maybe an apprenticeship when he is older?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
      Having a limited company, i want to make a contributions to my Nephew's school fees and wondered if there is any tax-efficient method of doing this?

Either by paying from the company or if that is not possible, is there any relief for a personal contribution from my net income?

I believe a 'deed of covenant' was scrapped years ago?
      How is making a contribution to your nephew's education 'wholly and exclusively' in connection with your company's business?

If you want to contribute to your nephew's education, do it out of the money your co pays you. Your ltd co is its own legal entity (and I suspect you know this) and has no legal way of making such a contribution.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Afraid not

Where you are contributing to school fees, any payments made from your business account to the school will be treated as salary, and taxed as such. And there is no tax relief if you pay for the school fees personally.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Isn't this to do with some schools declaring themselves a charity?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Isn't this to do with some schools declaring themselves a charity?
            The problem would be that your charity contribution to the school can't be linked to the decrease in your nephew's school fees.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X