• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jealous. Should I be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealous. Should I be?

I've been at present clientco since June last year, with a 3 month break between Oct- Jan.

I've been doing a number of different roles including technical architecture/PM/BA etc.

While I was here they advertised for a perm BI Manager/Architect role of which I was unaware. He sort of turned up one day and so that meant there was two of us. Of course being a contractor I was not client facing and he took all of those roles and I landed up with all the grunt work / architecture.

Fine. I am contracting.

Now I'd given up a senior role earlier last year in charge of a team of 20, and even though I was on a six figure salary was still only titled as a senior manager. The offer to move to the US came up and fast track(2 years) into a directors role. For personal reasons I turned it down and went back contracting to which I regret. They know I've been looking for a more senior role elsewhere.

So the BI manager who is here, it was his first management job. Never done it before and I've had to wet nurse him. I've been attending a number of client pitches / presenting them etc, at the same time having to project manager and deliver the other projects using other contractors and shared resource.

Now there was a re-org last month and said BI manager landed up getting some direct reports(which he didn't have before). I've just clocked his LinkedIn and lo and behold he's promoted to BI Director?!?!? He's only been in his first management role for 9 months!!!

WTF. He's a nice fella, and yes I'm bedwetting and jealous. Do I have a right to be?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Here we go, in one contract, five minutes, out to another. You've a very high opinion of yourself.

Why anyone would ever hire you is beyond belief.

Comment

Do you know how much he's getting paid? It could be peanuts and they didn't want to insult you with a low salary offer.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I've been at present clientco since June last year, with a 3 month break between Oct- Jan.

I've been doing a number of different roles including technical architecture/PM/BA etc.

While I was here they advertised for a perm BI Manager/Architect role of which I was unaware. He sort of turned up one day and so that meant there was two of us. Of course being a contractor I was not client facing and he took all of those roles and I landed up with all the grunt work / architecture.

Fine. I am contracting.

Now I'd given up a senior role earlier last year in charge of a team of 20, and even though I was on a six figure salary was still only titled as a senior manager. The offer to move to the US came up and fast track(2 years) into a directors role. For personal reasons I turned it down and went back contracting to which I regret. They know I've been looking for a more senior role elsewhere.

So the BI manager who is here, it was his first management job. Never done it before and I've had to wet nurse him. I've been attending a number of client pitches / presenting them etc, at the same time having to project manager and deliver the other projects using other contractors and shared resource.

Now there was a re-org last month and said BI manager landed up getting some direct reports(which he didn't have before). I've just clocked his LinkedIn and lo and behold he's promoted to BI Director?!?!? He's only been in his first management role for 9 months!!!

WTF. He's a nice fella, and yes I'm bedwetting and jealous. Do I have a right to be?
        Are you earning more than him ? Do you really really care about the 'status' of having direct reports ?

If you answered yes/no, then stick two fingers up quietly to yourself and slowly reduce the handholding that you're doing (oh, and don't forget to invoice).

If you answered no/yes, then find a bed to wet somewhere.

If you answered yes/yes, then go wet a bed before you submit next invoice.

Either way, slowly reduce any wet nursing until he falls and cuts his knee, then piss all over him
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

You're a frigging Crystal Reports monkey. Dress it up all you like, you're not some high flyer FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Do you know how much he's getting paid? It could be peanuts and they didn't want to insult you with a low salary offer.
            I'm on more money. They've mentioned a couple of times about me applying for a role but as it would mean a 50% cut in takehome there's never been any need to take it further.

I think I'm just a bit jealous as the actual job/title was what I was supposed to move into when I was perm a few years back and after three years still had to move to the US and wait another 2, while here it's like dolly mixture.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think I'm just a bit jealous as the actual job/title was what I was supposed to move into when I was perm a few years back and after three years still had to move to the US and wait another 2, while here it's like dolly mixture.
              No, you have no right to be jealous. You turned down a potentially very lucrative oppotunity and chose to go back contracting. Sorry, but there it is.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

WTF do you care what the permies call themselves.

He could call himself EVP squadron leader gruppenfuerer BI if he likes, he's still only getting half your rate FFS.

Comment

I'm always amazed how much people care about job titles. Couldn't give a flying duck what I'm called.

Comment

I'm on more money. They've mentioned a couple of times about me applying for a role but as it would mean a 50% cut in takehome there's never been any need to take it further.

Get some business cards made up calling yourself the CEO and hand them out judiciously.

That'll learn 'em.

Comment

Working...
                    X