• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate contracting.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate contracting.

It's too fricking easy, it doesn't stretch you and you get paid far too much money.

Fook it I'm going to give it all up and become a peace activist outside Parliament. Someone lend me a tent?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I hate making money with gold too.

Click, go for a cuppa, click, oh look, another £1K in my bank account.

Jeez, it's getting silly now.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      It's too fricking easy, it doesn't stretch you and you get paid far too much money.

Fook it I'm going to give it all up and become a peace activist outside Parliament. Someone lend me a tent?
      What I've learnt from contracting is that it's up to you to stretch yourself.

Toeing the permie line = easy street and not rocking the boat

Acting as a true contractor = rewiting shoddy code and striving to make things better.

I'm currently over my head in c# trying to speed up some dreadfully slow ETL processes.
      Risk: what I know about c# can be written on the back of a fag packet
      Pay off: I've already got one process working 2 orders of magnitude quicker than it was before.

I could have just walked into this contract and not bothered, left their systems as they are and got bored fast.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Contracting is a young man's game. The trick is to make your money contracting in your 20s and 30s, invest it, then slide into a senior six figure job in your late 30s.
        Sorted.
        No one should be coding after 30.

Plus you don't want to be travelling around after you have a family.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Man up you pussy whipped bitch!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            and for those of us who enjoy it?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              and for those of us who enjoy it?
              Will you still like it if you have to make your living from it in your 40s/50s?
              If so carry on.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Contracting is a young man's game. The trick is to make your money contracting in your 20s and 30s, invest it, then slide into a senior six figure job in your late 30s.
                Sorted.

Plus you don't want to be travelling around after you have a family.
                Well I tick all those boxes except I still do a manageable amount of travel. I find senior positions in consulting organisations far more rewarding than contracting. Many more variables and greater responsibilities keep it interesting. Of course having significant shares in the organisation where you are permie helps too.

Comment

I feel like I have been arse raped after the day I have had.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I feel like I have been arse raped after the day I have had.
                    You should know better than to get in that barrel.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X