• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

places to live in cardiff...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

places to live in cardiff...

anyone got any advice on the best places to rent in cardiff if your job is in cardiff bay (by the opera house - who knew cardiff had an opera house!?)

would living in the city centre be better or is living in the bay any good?
    is it worth considering living out in the countryside?
    etc etc etc

*queue welsh jokes*
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Oops! You'll upset sasguru. Don't want to be making the same mistake I did!

It's cue. FFS
    Oh and in answer to your question, no idea, never been there.

Comment

Funnily enough I'm gonna be in Cardiff for the next couple of days to do an Audit. Anyone ever worked for Logica in St Mellons?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It's very smart around the bay area (by Welsh standards) and there are quite a few good (by Welsh standards) bars and restaurants there. If you're after urban chic (by Welsh standards) renting a place in the bay area could be fun. However, although the area is much smartened up, you still get the same drunken Friday nighters brawling in the side streets.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
          Oops! You'll upset sasguru. Don't want to be making the same mistake I did!

Oh and in answer to your question, no idea, never been there.
          doh! of course it is cue... who'd have thought I studied english literature! IT is deadening the brain cells!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            It's very smart around the bay area (by Welsh standards) and there are quite a few good (by Welsh standards) bars and restaurants there. If you're after urban chic (by Welsh standards) renting a place in the bay area could be fun. However, although the area is much smartened up, you still get the same drunken Friday nighters brawling in the side streets.
            you get that anywhere I suppose tho. I do like the idea of only having to walk to work. However I do also like the idea of living in a lovely rural setting, dunno if that's too isolating tho.

Comment

It's a bit worse than most though. For many years Cardiff was the area of the UK in which you were most likely to get a good kicking of a Friday night (I think Newport was the Friday night stabbing capital of Britain for a long time as well - so joint honours there). I think it has only recently been supplanted by Nottingham but there you are more likely to be the victim of a drive by shooting.

Thing to remember with Cardiff is that it is quite small really but the traffic is totally horrendous and the whole M4 experience is one you will never forget. There is lovely countryside not far away, but be sure you don't have to rely on the M4 to get to work.

Comment

It's a bit worse than most though. For many years
                <snip>
                but be sure you don't have to rely on the M4 to get to work.
                mighty fine advice LB, many thanks!

Comment

Penarth used to be quite "nice" and very convenient for Cardiff, but I admit its several years since I was there.

Its could well be Chavdom now

Comment

I think it has only recently been supplanted by Nottingham but there you are more likely to be the victim of a drive by shooting.
                    Nothing to fear in Nottingham unless you sell drugs or believe the media that is.

High Wycombe is the random stabbing capital of the UK.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 4 April 2006, 15:30.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X