• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)' of Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)' of Contracting

Hi guys:

First post here!

I'm sure I'm running the risk of being alienated off the get-go by starting this thread (if that ends up being the case you'll have to forgive me for creating a new account & commenting 'what a great thread this could have been' 3 months from now

I'm 24, started contracting 2 months ago, and am totally in lust with it!

I had some great advice due to a random encounter with a JP Morgan associate in a Domino's ("...join an umbrella corp.").

Now, as much as I'd love to keep leaving it to fate to putting me in the same room as great advice (is Warren Buffett in town?), I'm going to take the path most travelled and ask the veterans amongst you (who are comfortable sharing) for, 'advice that you would have given yourself in retrospect'.

For those of you who have never heard the Baz Luhrman adaptation: ‪Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)‬‏ - YouTube (it's pretty inspirational) or, for the readers amongst you, the original article: Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young - chicagotribune.com - this is what I'm aiming to achieve.

I appreciate humor, so feel free to be smart asses ('...and the third path to wisdom: experience - which is the bitterest' et al), but the posts with blatant value are what I'm looking for.

So, in closing - what would you tell yourself when you first started contracting?

Thanks folks! Oh, and if this thread already exists - feel free to close it

DimPrawn or SASGuru are definitely having the day off. Who else can put in so much effort in a sockie post.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Darn it, I thought this was going to be a thread about sunscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribble Squad View Post
        So, in closing - what would you tell yourself when you first started contracting?
        Don't join CUK, you'll only waste time reading mylunch threads and regret it
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm sure I'm running the risk of being alienated off the get-go by starting this thread ...
          Not for the thread maybe, but using that phrase "off the get go"

Do you mean knowing what we know now, or what were we in the habit of telling ourselves then?

( I'm a bit of a grammar nazi. )

edit: Oh, rereading the post, it's obviously the first. I'd tell myself that it's no use earning more if my lifestyle expands to cover the extra income.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 July 2011, 11:29.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Hi guys:

Learn how to bleed radiators
            find out more about glaldiator films
            and hide my pron stash a bit better

Last edited by norrahe; 19 July 2011, 12:35.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

haha thanks for the activity on the thread fellas. C'mon, 'off the get go' is Americanisms 101

Thanks for the words of wisdom. So thus far, we have:

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Don't join CUK, you'll only waste time reading mylunch threads and regret it
              Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              it's no use earning more if my lifestyle expands to cover the extra income.
              I'd like to add: Impress with punctuality, dedication & smart work - not extra hours.

Keep 'em coming

Comment

Working...
              X