• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blinded in one eye

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinded in one eye

One of my 24" monitors died overnight. The power light comes on but no-one's home. It just gives me black looks.

What's the best setup you've got or used? Anyone got multiple 30 inchers!?

Is the pinnacle still 30" (with 2560x1600 resolution) or should I be looking elsewhere?

Off to bury my dead monitor in the garden.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    One of my 24" monitors died overnight. The power light comes on but no-one's home. It just gives me black looks.

What's the best setup you've got or used? Anyone got multiple 30 inchers!?

Is the pinnacle still 30" (with 2560x1600 resolution) or should I be looking elsewhere?

Off to bury my dead monitor in the garden.
    I've seen a fuel test rig with 12x 24" monitors all showing boring data, what a waste.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My deepest sympathies.

Two 24s and two 19s is my current set up. Any less than this and I start getting annoyed. I always try and make sure I buy monitors with a three year warranty

Enjoy the hunt for a replacement. Just had a quick look on ebuyer - 27s look just about affordable to me - 30s a bit out of my price range!

Comment

worked for a highways company and they setup an office for monitoring the traffic and they had 3 x 42 inch monitors and each one could be split down into multiple displays from the traffic light cameras around town, the picture quality from the cameras and the screens was fricking amazing, were talking at least 5 years ago now

Comment

Three Samsung 24" widescreens on my desk at home. The missus calls it Mission Control.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            I always try and make sure I buy monitors with a three year warranty
            Yeah, mine are Dell with 3 year warranty. The one that's died is from October 2007, so out of warranty.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Three Samsung 24" widescreens on my desk at home. The missus calls it Mission Control.
              Hmmm. Tempting. But I'd need a bigger desk unless going for quads in a 2 x 2 configuration.

At which point I'd have more screen than I know what to do with. Having CUK open on one monitor is distracting enough, never mind having room for iPlayer et al!
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                3 x 42 inch monitors
                I'm guessing those were TV style monitors where you get more inches but not pixels?

It would be great if they produced such a large monitor with the same DPI as the typical computer display. Maybe they do but they're silly money, even for contractors.

I'm tempted to go beyond 24" for the higher resolution that seems to be only available on 27 or 30 inchers, as you still have to overlap windows on a 24" in many cases.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Just buy an hd telly with a decent contrast ratio (50,000:1 or better minimum) and they do just fine
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

For those of you that have >2 monitors. Do these run off multiple physical machines? If so, Do you have multiple Keybds etc or do you KVM switch it?

Comment

Working...
                    X