• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tough Times Ahead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Times Ahead

Time to go on holiday, and recharge the batteries to face:

...the hardest times since the 1930s - Telegraph
    I'm alright Jack

If there is one positive to have emerged from the horror story of News Corp, it is that at least the nation has been able temporarily to forget its economic woes.

Yep. I was wondering why the news was dominated with corrupt journalists, politicians, and coppers. Hardly new news is it.

Looking at that photo of the quid coins made me wonder if we're close to the value of the metal in the coin being over a quid!?

As a hedge against my bank going bust and taking my warchest with it I'm thinking of drawing out my dosh in quid coins and getting a proper wooden chest. A tonne of coins should be harder to nick than a suitcase full of notes. Maybe the metal value is also a hedge against sterling deflation!

So many ideas but with so little idea.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

As a hedge against my bank going bust and taking my warchest with it I'm thinking of drawing out my dosh in quid coins and getting a proper wooden chest. A tonne of coins should be harder to nick than a suitcase full of notes. Maybe the metal value is also a hedge against sterling deflation!

So many ideas but with so little idea.

Comment

Are you saying coppers are now worth more than 1 or 2p!?

I've only recently emptied my savings jar and deposited it at the bank. Took me ages to bag it all up.

If I go back and ask to withdraw it again the cashierette will definately know I only did it in the first place to wind her up. Though maybe she likes 'bad boys'.
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Time to go on holiday, and recharge the batteries to face:

...the hardest times since the 1930s - Telegraph
          From that article:

"The effect of inflation is to erode the real value of the debt. At the current rate of attrition, UK debt relative to GDP would shrink by 50pc in less than ten years. "

Thank God we're out of the Euro.

Now sing after me ..."...This is the self-preservation societeeee, This is the self-preservation societeeee "
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

So the interest on the debt isn't linked to inflation?

If not, then it all makes sense. Even to me. Sort of.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Hmmm. This must be why I've had more phone calls this afternoon than in the last 2 weeks
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

So the interest on the debt isn't linked to inflation?

If not, then it all makes sense. Even to me. Sort of.
                But there are still an awful lot of index-linked pensions on the go, for retired former public service workers.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

and indexed linked gilts.

If inflation took off so would the pension commitments and the interest on index linked gilts, but not necessarily the tax receipts.

BOOM
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Tough times indeed.

Basic pay up 7% and £14,000,000,000 of bonuses.

City bonuses remain steady but basic pay jumps 7pc - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                    X