• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are nurses a waste of time... apparently so...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are nurses a waste of time... apparently so...

"20,000 jobs at risk in the NHS"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4840932.stm
    Vieze Oude Man

There are two hospitals close to me that are closing down to create a new super hospital.
    Top of the range equipment, but not as many beds?

Some how they have managed reduce the bed count by 50.

Fewer beds and therefore fewer nurses

How does that work

How is that going to help an over stretched NHS

Comment

When my late mother was in Torbay hospital, seriously ill, it was obvious that the staff were over-stretched. The hospital was dirty. A few staff were rude. Many were inadequately trained. Many were agency staff who were not as good as the normal staff. But were paid more.

Comment

What we need are higher taxes so that more money can be pumped in. It's the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex
          What we need are higher taxes so that more money can be pumped in. It's the only way.
          Indeed. Until we can offer nurses £75,000/year we will not have either enough nurses nor expect to attract the best people for the job.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex
            I can think of better things to pump into nurses than more of my money.

Comment

Somehow I think I'm not the only one who suspects that, given the current NHS model, even if we pumped in 100% of the nation's GDP, hospitals would still be running over budget, sacking staff, closing wards and being in general disarray.

Comment

I think it would get better. But not by as much as the money would suggest.

I suspect that the problem is structural, and one of inefficiency perhaps due to a command economy approach. The New Liar approach of targets is not helping, as that just pulls resources away from other areas. Problem is I haven't seen any convincing analysis. Hewitt comes across as incredibly condescending and as far as I know is a career politician with no real business experience, apart from working for charities.

Also medicine is getting more and more advanced, with cures for things that would have killed us a decade ago, and all of these pills and operations cost huge amounts of money. So it will go on absorbing more money.

One option is to outsource operations to places like India that have advanced medicine and well trained staff on much lower wages. The unions won't allow it.

Comment

Eh? What happened to Tony's post? It was magnificent and I was about to reply to it.

You haven't got that eModeration mob working here, have you?

Comment

Missed that... what was the gist of it...?
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X