• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT people and their lack of imagination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT people and their lack of imagination

One thing I've noticed in 20 years in computing in a range of industries and on this forum is the absolute literalness of most IT people.
    Obviously I'm talking about technical people (support people/developers mainly). There seems to be a complete lack of imagination in most IT types, a singular inability to imagine anything they have not experienced personally and allied with this a complete lack of ability to see the bigger picture.
    Many IT people see their skills (say C# programming or DBA) as defining who they are.
    And so they remain at a low level for the rest of their lives and allow the chancers and bulltulipters (PMs, BAs etc) to exploit them and cock things up.

Why is this? Education? Or is it inevitable that a mindset that deals with detail has no time for the bigger picture? Is there a level of autism involved?

I have long been fascinated by this issue.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    One thing I've noticed in 20 years in computing in a range of industries and on this forum is the absolute literalness of most IT people.
    Obviously I'm talking about technical people (support people/developers mainly). There seems to be a complete lack of imagination in most IT types, a singular inability to imagine anything they have not experienced personally and allied with this a complete lack of ability to see the bigger picture.
    Many IT people see their skills (say C# programming or DBA) as defining who they are.
    And so they remain at a low level for the rest of their lives and allow the chancers and bulltulipters (PMs, BAs etc) to exploit them and cock things up.

Why is this? Education? Or is it inevitable that a mindset that deals with detail has no time for the bigger picture? Is there a level of autism involved?

I enjoy dev work, get paid well enough and don't want to be known as a Chancer and a Bulltulipter.

Its all to do with the mild Asperger's.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

No imagination?!

Have you seen some of the tulip threads that crop up on here!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

There seems to be a complete lack of imagination in most IT types
        Is this a lesson in irony??
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On the whole I agree with what you say though, there are a lot of developers who lack the "fuzzy" thinking and communication skills necessary to make that transition. You can usually spot them by their sneering attitude of anyone outside of the technical team.

Personally, I'm quite happy making strategy and sticking my neck out and pointing out whats wrong and how the team/department/company should be doing things. Infact I make it a point to do this within the first week of starting any contract just to stamp my mark.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              No imagination?! Have you seen some of the tulip threads that crop up on here!

Those are by AtW's SKA-bots. Everyone knows that. Unless you're a bot.

I'm sure I saw a news article in the last week or so about a high number of people in IT having aspergers or autism. Makes them more logical minded.

Edit: yep, found it:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/03cb43a0-a...#axzz1RglSjsKf
              Last edited by PAH; 19 July 2011, 17:11.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

One thing I've noticed in 20 years
                That would be about right.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'd say 20 years is not enough to take the high horse on IT matters.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    I'd say 20 years is not enough to take the high horse on IT matters.
                    Particularly when you are an arrogant pompous sociopath with all the grace of a rattlesnake.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X