• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the last substantial skill you learnt on a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the last substantial skill you learnt on a contract?

Just been offered some work by current ClientCo on a rewrite for a load of VB.NET apps, to be re-written in C#/WPF. Could be a goody on the CV.

Still doing the current contractual VBA stuff as well.

Don't think it should be too hard but be a good starting point.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 19 July 2011, 15:52.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

snap, i just posted yesterday about how i was having to learn c# on this contract
    over the past 5 years i've added SSRS SSIS and SSAS to my skill set, all learnt in contracts
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Just been offered some work on a rewrite for a load of VB.NET apps, to be re-written in C#/WPF. Could be a goody on the CV.

Still doing the current contractual VBA stuff as well.

Don't think it should be too hard but be a good starting point.
      Invoicing while waiting for equipment to appear.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I got to learn PHP on one contract, ah ....err sorry misread the thread, it said "substantial skill"....on second thoughts no not at all. Did enjoy my foray into Net development, even wrote a Java applet.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Just been offered some work by current ClientCo on a rewrite for a load of VB.NET apps, to be re-written in C#/WPF. Could be a goody on the CV.
          C# is saturated. As more people move over to it the VB.net arena may become more of a niche. Niches usually demand higher prices as there's either fewer people with the skills or less work retaining them with the skills.

Also WPF may be a pain in the ass if it involves XAML. Go into that and you're one step from Silverlight oblivion.

[legal disclaimer: this post may or may not represent a reasonable perspective on the subjects mentioned. no warranty is given in the reliability of said information.]
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

weirdly, some of the best skills I learn are 'soft' skills ( possibly because the reason I was take on was because I already had the techie skills)

So I have learned about accruals, general ledger, post codes, how to answer the phone, how to run a meeting, how to get testing done, how to blag holidays, how to blag an afternoon off

and many more

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              weirdly, some of the best skills I learn are 'soft' skills ( possibly because the reason I was take on was because I already had the techie skills)

So I have learned about accruals, general ledger, post codes, how to answer the phone, how to run a meeting, how to get testing done, how to blag holidays, how to blag an afternoon off

and many more

WEOS

I've not really picked up many technical skills in the last few years, more BA/PM and influencing skills. I seem to be able to get people onboard/onside and get them to do what I want... Or is that just manipulation?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Current project has got me programming Java, which is interesting as I've never done that before

If I last the 6 months I'm going to backport it into a few roles on my CV

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Invoicing while waiting for equipment to appear.
                  Mind your moo.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Java. Normally I am a mere Microsoft chap, but it was the path of least resistance on the occasion.
                    Odd how in order to get on site, you need at least X years commercial experience of exactly version Y of Z; but once you're there, and a requirement in a completely different technology pops up, it's "You could pick that up in a week, couldn't you?"

Comment

Working...
                    X