• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spitting Image

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitting Image

Back when I were a wee nipper, this was one of the most popular, satircal shows on a Sunday night (just after the news at 10.00pm).

However, it naturally ran it's course and went out with a whimper.

9 years of Neu Laborazi later, I can only think it is time to resurrect the old beast and continue with the mischief-making once again. I seriously think there is a political, satirical vacuum at the moment and this needs to be addressed with a topical weekly show like Spitting Image.

It's not like they don't have much material to work with is it ?

However, I did come across this snippet from the Wiki Entry

Politicians beware! 'Spitting Image' set to return
    By Robert Verkaik
    Published: 20 February 2006
    When it was first screened in 1984, Spitting Image's cruel satire and painfully accurate latex caricatures provoked public condemnation and angry letters from its many victims.

But by the time ITV announced its demise 12 years later, it could boast peak audiences of 15 million.

<There is more but you need to be a subscriber>

So...votes for it's return ?
    Yes
    96.00%
    No
    4.00%
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Aye

I dont know if they have enough latex to do both Brown and Prescott though.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I dont know if they have enough latex to do both Brown and Prescott though
      I'd do them as a pair of Siamese twins, with the heads constantly bickering and fighting each other.

Either that, or...

Brown as Darth Sidious, scary and grapsing for power, and Cameron as young Anakin, being enticed to join the dark side. Blair is nowhere to be seen in the whole series.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Actually youve brought back some fond memories with this one, BGG... tuesday nights at 9pm on BC2 for The Young Ones, etc... Friday Night Live... Stavros (would that work today, or would it be frowned upon, while 'LoadsaMoney' was cheered on...?)
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Indeed....back in the old days when satirical comedy was sharp, fresh and exciting, with a hint of danger and the whiff of a weekly lawsuit.

Followed by an article in The Mirror by Mary Whitehouse complaining that "this verminous show has plunged new depths of depravity and corruption".

You could guarantee that Monday morning in the playground (or office) would be rife with impersonations of the previous night's show, as people shared the humour with each other.

Then another few days of morbid work or school until the next episode midweek of your favourite show and it would all start again.

As a nation, we don't seem to have that political and satircal release anymore. We have other shows, like Little Britain et al, but nothing like Spitting Image, Not the Nine O Clock News, Yes Minister, Young Ones (which was politcal at times). Modern show are more comedy sketches with branded characters repeating their catchphrases. I can't think of any characters which are political in their content however.

Is this due to a lack of writers, a fear of censorship, a lack of interest in politics in general ? I don't know.

It's interesting to note that during the anarchic "alternative" years of the BBC, which was riven with foaming-at-the-mouth lefties, there was no apparent shortage of money or programme commissioning for left-wing comedians (Ben Elton, Alexi Sayle), and yet now the Left are in power, the BBC seems a bit light on encouraging criticism of it's paymast...er....I mean government.

Don't get me started on HIGNFY.....it rapidly turned from being a promising anti-establishment show, to one in which "celebrity guests" were drafted in to point score off each other and show us how clever they all were (after preparing their scripts for their impromptu humour)

Perhaps we should have a new Reality TV show called "Guess My Sleaze" where members of a panel are encouraged to discover the skeletons of various political personalities. Allegedly.
          Last edited by Board Game Geek; 4 April 2006, 23:38.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

After me... "Hold a chicken in the air..."

Comment

Are there actually that many examples of political satire on TV at the moment..?

The only one that springs to mind is Bremner Bird and Fortune... (or repeats of Yes Minister that are as appropriate as now as they were, and always will be!)
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Davros
                After me... "Hold a chicken in the air..."
                .. Stick a deckchair up your nose...
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I can't be bothered to research the whole song, as it's late, but....2006 version

Hold a...white flag in the air (Iraq)
                  Stick 10 kilos up your nose (Kate Moss)
                  Buy a Lifetime Peerage (bit obvious that one)
                  And refuse to disclose (Tories)
                  Paint a crock of 5hit (Turner Prize)
                  Then find a dental quack (NHS Dentists in open revolt)
                  Form a real band, (as opposed to the manufactured ones)
                  And pretend your name is Olaf (nod to our immigrant friends)

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Hurrah!

That should be our Song For Europe....
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X