• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Providing sample code....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Providing sample code....

Ok, now we've all done it... taken a crafty copy of our glorious code after hours of fighting 'The System', and despite all the obstacles, created a masterpiece that not only works, but has that 'winning look that weapons have' (cant remember the German phrase).

So, potential employer asks for samples of my code... do I sanitise work that is technically owned by another client, or try to think of a sample project from scratch...? (by monday).
    Vieze Oude Man

So, potential employer asks for samples of my code... do I sanitise work that is technically owned by another client, or try to think of a sample project from scratch...? (by monday).
    Well, I'm not a code guru, but I get the general gist of what you are saying.

Client : "Well, Sir Christopher Wren, do you have any examples of your work you'd like to show us ?"

SCW : "er....er.....er....well, I knocked up this 3' high brick wall, to show you my credentials...."

SCW was the architect behind St. Paul's Cathedral.

Is the situation above likely ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Understood.... the hiring manager is an ex-contractor who started his own software company that was subsequently bought by an Asset Management firm. I dare say he will... 'understand'...

Its just that sometimes people feel 'ok, if he keeps code from his previous clients, how can we trust him with ours...?'
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

'ok, if he keeps code from his previous clients, how can we trust him with ours...?
        I can see their point.

What we are talking about here is all about "perception". It's your job to ensure that the perception is perceived positively. That part of the job is called "Spin" and self-promotion.

So plonk him down in a chair, show him the code and say "Obviously, I'm not at liberty to say who this code was for, but as you can see, this is a working, practical example of my work within a real business environment, blah blah blah....."

Don't give him a chance to think about the code or where it came from....sell the code and yourself, and how you can solve all his problems (work, social, sexual, global warming, whatever)

(By sexual I mean helping his wife )
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

So in summary, a search and replace for 'CompanyABC' to 'MyCorp', and include a webcam pic of his wife in action (animated using Flash of course... snigger...) ...?
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I have a small SourceForge project of libraries that I've licensed under the Apache license so that:-

1) I can provide sample code if anyone wants to see it
            2) I have a set of ready made libraries that I can use within any projects as long as they don't object to the Apache license - which given that I code in Java, they're nearly all using Apache code already.

I win on both counts.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Mmmm... hadnt thought of that.... I suppose it counts as proof of ownership even if you are letting every contractor and his dog at it
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                Mmmm... hadnt thought of that.... I suppose it counts as proof of ownership even if you are letting every contractor and his dog at it
                I can prove it was me that checked the code into CVS, it's copyrighted to me in the comments, and the package structure uses my domain name. So yes, I can demonstrate that I wrote it.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Ive always had the grand idea of setting up a website with a password protected area that allows people I sanction to view the actual code in use...

Sadly, time is tight, and theres always ANOTHER trendy bar or restaurant thats just opened... sigh.
                  Last edited by mcquiggd; 4 April 2006, 23:47. Reason: Typo
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

feck's sake lads, does it really matter ?

does this bloke want you to write code, or does he simply
                    want to get code you developed for previous clients that
                    he can re-use free of charge

sounds like he is taking the peas to me

either he wants you for your programming talent to
                    do good work for him, or he wants to rip off what you
                    have done for other people

bloke sounds like a caaaaaaaaaaaaant

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X