• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

500 Euro Notes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 Euro Notes

After happily paying for expenses in Europe using 500 Euro notes, I returned to the UK only to find the it is almost impossible to exchange them for Sterling because of “money laundering regulations” . Some Banks will accept them but they require a copy of the passport, a form to be filled in and a £30 charge per note! No wonder the Fuc£ing country is going down the drain.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

500 Euro notes are not for spending, they are for putting in the mattress as they don't make it too lumpy.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      After happily paying for expenses in Europe using 500 Euro notes, I returned to the UK only to find the it is almost impossible to exchange them for Sterling because of “money laundering regulations” . Some Banks will accept them but they require a copy of the passport, a form to be filled in and a £30 charge per note! No wonder the Fuc£ing country is going down the drain.
      The 500 euro note is bonkers. Money Laundering would probably be the least of your worries, a fake note is probably more likely!

There were loads of fake ones going round at home last year, lots of fellas refusing to have them in their wages etc.
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

They'll use any excuse won't they?

I learnt long ago not to change cash in the UK.

Mainly because I could get better rates elsewhere.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Hang on a few months and you'll be OK for bog roll.

Comment

Change them? I use them to light my cigars!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Change them? I use them to light my cigars!
              That's terrible!

Are you smoking again
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I reckon they'll be worth a fortune in 50 years time.

When the Euro is in a museum.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  The 500 euro note is bonkers. Money Laundering would probably be the least of your worries, a fake note is probably more likely!
                  I agree.

I go into a sweat when an ATM gives me anything above a 50€.

Properly because the UK is flooded with loads of fake notes and coinage, and I don't want problems with fake money in a country where I don't speak the language at all or properly.

I always try and pay with my debit (Metrobank) or credit (Nationwide) in Euroland.

The best way to get rid of Euro notes is to exchange them with someone who is going to Euroland.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The best way to get rid of Euro notes is to exchange them with someone who is going to Euroland.
                    That's always been the best way. Look up the mid rate, use that, and you are both better off.

PS I used to do this all the time when I had colleagues that were paid in Sterling (which I needed) and I was paid in local currency (which they needed).
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X