• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Europe saved then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe saved then?

Wow, that didn't take much.

Whole of Europe on a knife edge and the Germans stroll in and pick up the tab, the Greeks go back to sitting around smoking and drinking coffee, their 20 hr a week public sector jobs safe, their full gold plated pension intact.

Euro rocketing, stock markets booming, no doubt house prices doubling as we speak.

Get endless Sky News at the gym and for once there was something mildly interesting yesterday, a former Greek finance minister talking about the profligate Greek government.

He said the Greek case is nothing like Ireland or Portugal who made unwise moves in the past, property boom etc, but are addressing the deficits. By contrast, Greek government spending has gone up by a considerable percentage since the last bailout. He reckons they feel safe in so doing because other governments are scared of wider impact if Greece fails. He also reckoned the consequences are vastly overstated. Greece is a tiny percentage of the EU economy.

Since this latest fudge won't work it would be better to expel Greece from the Euro and then concentrate on the states which matter and those that are willing to address the problem.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Germans actually making a fortune on the money they lend to Greece.

120 million a year apparently.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Germans actually making a fortune on the money they lend to Greece.

120 million a year apparently.
        Was that a typo? £120M?

That's the EU budget for paperclips for the month.

Comment

Maybe the plan is to keep lending money to the Greeks until it is too big to fall?

Comment

The last lot of money only lasted a year and now they've got an even bigger debt to service. I wonder whether the latest tranche will last a whole year before armaggedon looms once again?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Was that a typo? £120M?

That's the EU budget for paperclips for the month.

0.12 billion sounds more impressive IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                0.12 billion sounds more impressive IMO.
                Or put it this way, DimPrawn has 0.001 billion pounds. Doesn't that sound richer than a millionaire?

Comment

We will be back to this next year.

(Unless the olive market picks up considerably)

Comment

It will be over by Christmas!

I understand now why Cameron is pushing overseas aid, next year expect the Greeks to be a major beneficiary.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X