• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Land development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land development

Anyone on here ever purchased a plot of land and subsequently developed it by building a house or similar?

What was the experience like?

A plot of land nearby is available and I'm toying with the idea of pursuing further.

I've looked at this a lot.

Never found a plot of land that wasn't stupidly priced to such an extent it would be cheaper to buy a house and knock it down and rebuild.

The trick is to find a rundown bungalow on a large plot and then apply for PP to demolish and replace with a modern house.

If you don't get PP you can always flog it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Anyone on here ever purchased a plot of land and subsequently developed it by building a house or similar?

What was the experience like?

A plot of land nearby is available and I'm toying with the idea of pursuing further.
      Go for a chat with the local planning officer first, they should tell you if there is a chance to get planning permission.

I went down that road a few years ago, a mistake on the plans and they got rejected. Lost interest, sold the land a few years later and got 100K more than I paid for it
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

That's the challenge - getting the land for a good price.

As has been said, this is hard to do nowadays particularly in the South East.

Comment

Mrs jmo21's cousin is doing that just now.

her bloke is a builder though, and doing a lot of the work himself, mostly nights and weekends, and arranging contractors for the rest. It's taken them over 2 years, including planning permission and right of way issues.

They lived on site in a caravan for most of the time (moved back with her parents during the winter there).

From the photos I've seen the house is going to be spectacular and according to them it's been well worth it.

Comment

Where in the SE are you looking?

I joined Home | Land for sale in the UK from Plotfinder.net at one point.

Trick is to ring all the estate agents in the area you are looking at and tell them what you want to do. Also look at all the auctions.

Comment

That's the challenge - getting the land for a good price.

As has been said, this is hard to do nowadays particularly in the South East.
              A absolutely hate to have to say this, but I agree with DP (and some other advice on this thread).

Has the land you're looking at have outline planning permission ? Or any permission ?

I know a guy who is good at dealing with planners/council officials and he buys un-permissioned land and fights his way through to outline permission before selling on to developers. The difference in land value from brown/green field to outline PP is significant, to say the least !
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

The owner of the land has, in the past, applied for planning permission to build a house which was rejected.

Upon further cursory investigation, it appears the rejection was due to proposals by the Highway Agency to widen an adjoining road which would have meant, I presume, said road would move closer to the boundary of the land in question.

However, the land particulars from the vendor suggest the Highways Agency are no longer planning on widening this road so, potentially, any future building plans should be approved.

With this in mind, the question that arises is why isn't the vendor pursuing obtaining permission again - in theory all he would have to do is update and re-submit his previously rejected plans which, I believe, shouldn't be too costly.

Comment

The problem is that land with planning permission or potential to demolish and rebuild is priced too high.

Similar to houses that need refubishment priced equivalent to estimated value after refurb minus estimated cost of refurb.

Hard to find bargains, unless you're willing to put up with flaws such as near a pylon, railway line, motorway, floodplain, or disused mine shaft.

In the last 10 years or so speculating developers have cornered the market. Many estate agents have preferred clients (builders who may have 'done a deal' with them to get first nod) they contact before advertising new land/properties to the wider audience. So any advertised suitable land is going to be top whack.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

With this in mind, the question that arises is why isn't the vendor pursuing obtaining permission again - in theory all he would have to do is update and re-submit his previously rejected plans which, I believe, shouldn't be too costly.
                    Maybe he has already enquired and found permission unlikely, so it's more profitable to sell as 'potential for development' with the premium added to the price, and let the mug who buys it find out it really isn't.

Only way to be sure is to apply for permission. Only when it's granted can you say the land will get it.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X