• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apocalypse Now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apocalypse Now

Ukraine May Have Sold 250 Nuclear Warheads To Iran

4-4-6

MOSCOW (RIA Novosti) - The chief of Russia's General Staff said Monday he could neither confirm nor deny reports that Ukraine had sold 250 nuclear warheads to Iran.

"Russia's General Staff has no information about whether Ukraine has given 250 nuclear warheads to Iran or not," General Yury Baluyevsky, also deputy defense minister, said in response to an article in Novaya Gazeta newspaper Monday. "I do not comment on unsubstantiated reports."

The newspaper said that Ukraine had failed to return 250 warheads to Russia in the 1990s when the former Soviet republic declared itself a nuclear-free zone. The paper suggested the warheads could have been sold to a third country, including Iran.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060403/45107320.html
    If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Well, what would you expect. They're 'not allowed' to make nukes, or develop any kind of nuclear programme, despite the UK and US continuing to flout the treaties they allegedly agreed to, so why not buy them in?

All the while the 'enlightened' west continue with their 'one rule for us and another for them' attitude, this kind of thing is going to happen and so deserve the consequences. I just cope I'm dead before it all results in a big bangy war.

Comment

Don't really see the problem

Originally posted by ladymuck
      Well, what would you expect. They're 'not allowed' to make nukes, or develop any kind of nuclear programme, despite the UK and US continuing to flout the treaties they allegedly agreed to, so why not buy them in?

All the while the 'enlightened' west continue with their 'one rule for us and another for them' attitude, this kind of thing is going to happen and so deserve the consequences. I just cope I'm dead before it all results in a big bangy war.
      I'd much rather that the earth was a desolate smoking ruin (temporarily) devoid of life than that it was run by a bunch of loonies who believe that god/allah/jwah/whoever created us.

(DG in 'like any of it matters anyway' mode)
      Why not?

Comment

If they had 250 nukes, or even 50, then they would not need nuclear capability to develop more. More likely they have a few purchased in North Korea that can be used to conduct a show off test.

Comment

All the while the 'enlightened' west continue with their 'one rule for us and another for them' attitude.
          And quite justified they are too. Do you think everyone should be treated the same? That is rubbish. For example, according to this very article the Ukraine unilaterally declared itself a nuclear-free zone, whereas Iran want to do the opposite.

You cannot un-invent nuclear bombs, any more than you can un-invent guns, but you can do your best to try and limit their use.

BTW what treaties are you talking about, that the UK and US are flouting?

Comment

Well now the stage is set for Armeggedeon, rapture index and Oil at an all time high ...humanity an all time low.

The logic of the Uks Minister of Defence statement that we need to dispense of International Law to effect pre emptive strikes would then justify

Chinese occupation of Tibet
            Chinese Invasion of Taiwan
            Iranian invasion of Iraq
            Indian attack of Pakistan
            Pakistan attack of India

Its a MAD MAD MAD world
            Last edited by Central-Scrutiniser; 5 April 2006, 12:03.
            If you have done no wrong then you have nothing to fear ...perhaps.

Comment

I think we should invade Iran and search for the warheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                I think we should invade Iran and search for the warheads.
                we cant do that - they may fight back

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                  BTW what treaties are you talking about, that the UK and US are flouting?
                  The US backed out of the Nuclear Inspections Treaty and, instead of disarming its nukes under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, is continuing to develop warheads and Pre-Emptive Nuclear First-Strike Options. And is investigating warheads to reach deeply buried bunkers and the like.

As members of NATO the UK hold US nuclear weapons on UK soil. Surely under the rules of disarmament, they should be removed? In Feb this year the Britain’s Atomic Weapons Establishment and the USA’s Los Alamos National Laboratory performed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada with the purpose to evaluate existing warheads and aid development of new ones.

I agree that we cannot 'uninvent' these things and that we need to find a solution but to say that no-one can develop these weapons, sign up to a treaty to prove your commitment and then not-so-secretly continue with a nuclear program, stinks of hypocrisy and so I fully understand why countries like Iran want a piece of the pie.

It's idealistic to think that if the west destroyed their nuclear capability that the 'axis of evil' would follow suit but they could at least try not to so blatantly lie about what they're up to! 'Do as we tell you and not as we do' kinda springs to mind - no wonder the religious fanatics want us all dead!

Comment

The US backed out of the Nuclear Inspections Treaty and, instead of disarming its nukes under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, is continuing to develop warheads and Pre-Emptive Nuclear First-Strike Options. And is investigating warheads to reach deeply buried bunkers and the like.

As members of NATO the UK hold US nuclear weapons on UK soil. Surely under the rules of disarmament, they should be removed? In Feb this year the Britain’s Atomic Weapons Establishment and the USA’s Los Alamos National Laboratory performed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada with the purpose to evaluate existing warheads and aid development of new ones.
                    The US and the UK are both permitted to hold nuclear weapons under the terms of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, along with China, Russia (was USSR), and France.

What rules of disarmament are you referring to?

Comment

Working...
                    X