• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question re business expense/benefit in kind - CCTV costs for residence/home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re business expense/benefit in kind - CCTV costs for residence/home office

Hi,

looking for a bit of advice re whether I can charge to the business for having CCTV fitted (to residence/home office) to protect investment in IT equipment. (I'm an IT Contractor)

And whether any costs have to be pro rata - as benefit to personal/residence security as well.

Should explain work from home 2 days a week, and looking to protect sizeable investment Company has in IT equipment related to work. (2 x Laptops/NAS/Colour Printer etc)

This is due to a spate of burglaries in our area - (we already have a monitored Alarm fitted already - which acts as a deterent) But looking to make the house an unappealing to a burglar as possible.

I already have additional insurance policies for the Laptops on-top of the household/contents.

Any guidance/pointers in right direction appreciated.

Regards,

seyre1972

Is it wholly and exclusively for the use of the business? protecting your house???

Quick answer is no unless you want to go down the BIK route which just isn't worth it
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 July 2011, 12:35.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Bit more detail - should have explained better

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Is it wholly and exclusively for the use of the business? protecting your house???

Quick answer is no unless you want to go down the BIK route which just isn't worth it

Cheers for the quick reply - should have explained my home office is just that - a separate Buiding in the Garden - detached from the House.

This is covered by to the House Alarm system as a seperate Zone. Cameras would cover from house - pointing at Home Office and Garden.

We're only talking £900 max for setup - so will have to put my short arms into my deep pockets .....

seyre1972

Comment

I can't really see why not in that case as it seems legitimate. My neighbour Mr Pikey Scum claimed his dog as an expense because he keeps work tools in his garage. I believe the IR, as then was, allowed it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

IMHO HMR&C would claim duality of purpose with this one as the cameras would protect both the garden (which is not used for business purposes) as well as the building that houses your IT equipment. I assume that the equipment is already covered by insurance??
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Something to bear in mind - Mr Burglar might get all excited if you make your property look too well guarded. He'll know that there's something of great value inside.

I think that by already having a visible alarm box is enough. I don't personally think that having CCTV cameras is a good idea, unless they are covert.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
              Something to bear in mind - Mr Burglar might get all excited if you make your property look too well guarded. He'll know that there's something of great value inside.

I think that by already having a visible alarm box is enough. I don't personally think that having CCTV cameras is a good idea, unless they are covert.

Really?! Spend a fortune on covert cameras so you can get a nice video of some random with a sock on his head nicking your stuff. That's useful. Deterrent is the word I think you are struggling with.

Comment

The use of CCTV cameras on dwellings has little or no benefit imo. An alarm box is quite sufficient.

Criminals tend to believe that CCTV cameras are either not working, or not being used. The vast majority of people who have an alarm system installed on their home forget to use it, particularly at night - your random burglar will know this too.

The only positive = insurance companies might possibly reducing their insurance premiums if CCTV is being used?

For the best advice concerning protecting your home/property, contact your local police and ask to speak with their Crime Reduction Officer.

Comment

Overt is the name of the game !!!

The use of CCTV cameras on dwellings has little or no benefit imo. An alarm box is quite sufficient.

Criminals tend to believe that CCTV cameras are either not working, or not being used. The vast majority of people who have an alarm system installed on their home forget to use it, particularly at night - your random burglar will know this too.

The only positive = insurance companies might possibly reducing their insurance premiums if CCTV is being used?

For the best advice concerning protecting your home/property, contact your local police and ask to speak with their Crime Reduction Officer.
                  As I said initially - the aim of the game is to make the oppertunistic thief/burglar think twice - so cameras would be overt - not covert.

As I've already disturbed burglars once who'd broke into next door when WFH (the neighbour was a MET Police Inspector)

If somebody is determined enough - they'll do it anyway - the aim of the game is to make my property look a hard target compared to next door, down the road etc. People who stoop to theft/stealing from others houses will always go for easy pickings- unless after something specific.

The House Alarm is on every nigthtime , or even if just popping down the shops during the daytime. Otherwise what would be the point of having one (old neighbour hadn't set his the day I disturbed the burglars

All my property is tagged/asseted/serial number recored in an online Asset Database which if recovered by police they check against.

Cheers,

seyre1972

Comment

<snip>
                    <snip>
                    Slight contradiction here. You say no benefit but they say possible reduction in insurance. There would only be a reduction in insurance if there was evidence it reduces the risk of getting burgled.

Anything, even false boxes will make a random burglar think twice and go next door where they have nothing. Particularly if there is a spate going on. If you leave your stuff in view to make it worth his while regardless of camera's, well, you are beyond help I agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X