• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photocard licence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photocard licence

I've been out of the country for a while, and I see that there is now a photocard driving licence. But there are a couple of things I don't know or understand:

1. is it credit-card sized? That is, will it fit into a credit card wallet? The DVLA web site for some reason doesn't seem to think that this is something one would want to know.

2. What's this counterpart thing? They seem to say that a licence = a photocard + a counterpart. So what good is the photocard licence on its own?

Somebody please tell me they haven't gone and made a licence that you can carry in a credit-card wallet at last, and then added a compulsory extra bit of paper that means that it still won't fit in a credit-card wallet?

The card is credit card size. The counterpart is A4. Legally you are supposed to carry them both around together.

Don't question it; whoever came up with it is one of Brown's servants.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
      Somebody please tell me they haven't gone and made a licence that you can carry in a credit-card wallet at last, and then added a compulsory extra bit of paper that means that it still won't fit in a credit-card wallet?
      I could tell you that......it would be a lie but I could.
      New licence is in two parts and requires both parts to be presented. That said, the card part is accepted by most as proof of ID you just need the paper bit (which carries points and stuff) when asked for a producer.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I didn't think you had to carry either, just produce them on demand. Everytime I've needed to show my licence (like hiring a car) they've demanded to see both, but I guess the idea is that the card you can carry around all the time to use as ID or if the police stop you for doing 30.000001 mph. The counterpart only shows your points.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Legally you should keep them together. Of course no-one does. What a design travesty of our time.

Comment

If you drive in Europe, well Denmark for certain, you need the photocard one, and you also need to carry the paper counterpart.

I love whipping it out over here. When peeps look at all the pictures of vehicles I'm allowed to drive they go ooooohhhhh.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              If you drive in Europe, well Denmark for certain, you need the photocard one, and you also need to carry the paper counterpart.

I love whipping it out over here. When peeps look at all the pictures of vehicles I'm allowed to drive they go ooooohhhhh.
              <plop> sound of threaded pulling his head out of his own arse.
              <chomp> sound of threaded eating his pies.
              <schlump> sound of threaded putting his head back up his own arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                <schlump> sound of threaded putting his head back up his own arse.
                Would that be so he can re-eat the pie as it comes out?

Comment

Threaded
                  I love whipping it out over here

Fleetwood : I love whipping it out over her*

(* new bird)
                  We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
                    Would that be so he can re-eat the pie as it comes out?

Yup, saves the discomfort of regurgitation.

Comment

Working...
                    X