• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking about handing my badge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about handing my badge

Contracting, although lucrative is hard work and it's wearing a bit on family life as i've been working away for the best part of 2 years now. So I'm thinking of handing in my contractor badge. A perm role has come up locally for a lecturer position which, apart from teaching experience, fits quite nicely. It's also generally, from the university research departments i've worked in, quite an easy pace and style of life. But, and it's a big but, the salary range is 30-45K, although perks are good and as my experience in that field is small I can see them trying to offer at the lower end, that is if I got the position. The position does state that they would encourage applicants with lesser teaching experience, but I reckon they may just be budget trimming.

Plan B is going nowhere in the short term, but that's another story altogether.

Should I just act like a contractor - put it down to a bad week, post holiday blues, STFU and invoice like a contractor.

Or buy some cords, grow a beard, and go for the lecturing job. (The other thing that puts me off is the application process).

Zieity?

Don't forget the regular conferences in Acapulco.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Can you live on £30k a year? I can safely say you ain't going to get to the higher end as that upper limit will be based on yearly increments.

If you've get the elbow patches go for it otherwise think of the invoice and go back to work.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        Contracting, although lucrative is hard work and it's wearing a bit on family life as i've been working away for the best part of 2 years now. So I'm thinking of handing in my contractor badge. A perm role has come up locally for a lecturer position which, apart from teaching experience, fits quite nicely. It's also generally, from the university research departments i've worked in, quite an easy pace and style of life. But, and it's a big but, the salary range is 30-45K, although perks are good and as my experience in that field is small I can see them trying to offer at the lower end, that is if I got the position. The position does state that they would encourage applicants with lesser teaching experience, but I reckon they may just be budget trimming.

Plan B is going nowhere in the short term, but that's another story altogether.

Should I just act like a contractor - put it down to a bad week, post holiday blues, STFU and invoice like a contractor.

Or buy some cords, grow a beard, and go for the lecturing job. (The other thing that puts me off is the application process).

Zieity?
        Erm, yes.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

feck's sake,

been a contractor for two years

the engine's not even run in yet

well, us oldies are sorted if the newbies are giving up after a couple of years

more of it I say

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Can you live on £30k a year? I can safely say you ain't going to get to the higher end as that upper limit will be based on yearly increments.
            Academic qualifications also come into it, I believe. Enough good ones can overcome at least some of the yearly increments.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Academic qualifications also come into it, I believe. Enough good ones can overcome at least some of the yearly increments.
              Mrs OG is a University Lecturer with a PhD and 7 years post-PhD research and some lecturing experience. I think she started pretty near the bottom of the scale. You don't do it for the money.

Comment

Its a no brainer, do what you think is right for your family.

I am under no illusions that I will contract long term, the kids are still young enough for me not to be missed during the week, they are happy with phone calls/skype etc.

When it comes to the time I might start missing big events in their life, school plays, sports days etc I hope I would have built up enough of a nest egg to be debt free and pay off a large chunk of my mortgage if not all and "settle down" into permiedom.

Work to live, not live to work!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

seconded

Milan.

Comment

Been offered my current contract role on a permie basis a couple of times now - very good package as well. But have turned it down - contracting lifestyle is for I me thinks...

Comment

Working...
                    X