• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work Shy Lazy Underclass

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Shy Lazy Underclass

BBC News - Tests claim few benefit claimants 'unfit to work'

Only 7% of people claiming sickness benefits were unable to do any sort of work, new figures have shown.

7% were incapable of any work
    17% were able to do some sort of work given the correct support
    39% were deemed to be fit for work and were moved onto jobseeker's allowance
    36% dropped out of the application process
    1% of applications were still in progress
    Seem's that these new test are facing a lot of backlash (including the recent case of someone who died shortly after being labelled fit to work) but how can people argue with results like this even with a margin for error of +/- 5%
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    including the recent case of someone who died shortly after being labelled fit to work
    Given the number of people this has effected I wold be suprised if there wasn't at least one death. Of course that death being caused by the fact that they had been deemed fit to go back to work is a completely different matter.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The system to check on people's status is a joke. My sister is severely mentally handicapped, mental age of about 6 months, yet the powers that be insist on a home visit to appraise her every two years or so., They only have to walk in and see her before they say, "Ok, she obvisouly cannot work". You would think they could record this on the system and not visit again, but no they waste their time from various government depts to check, yet other workshy gits I know of never get investigated.

Comment

Why go to work for minimum wage when you can sit at home for a larger amount once all benefits have been factored in?

Problem is that the cost of basic essentials (food, housing, heating) means the government can't cut benefits so it's unlikely to change soon either. Not much chance of wage inflation in a deflating economy.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

BBC News - Tests claim few benefit claimants 'unfit to work'

Seem's that these new test are facing a lot of backlash (including the recent case of someone who died shortly after being labelled fit to work) but how can people argue with results like this even with a margin for error of +/- 5%
          Anecdote here...

Friend works as a voluntary sector support worked for adults with learning disabilities. On of her clients with Down's syndrome and chronic illnesses went through one of these tests. The doctor was flown in from outside U.K. paid for by a private company with the contract to produce results.

Lot's of questions...

Can you count? Yes (tick in the box)
          What can you count to? 5 (tick crossed out)

It seems the guy would like a job and did work 2 days per week but eventually lost his job because he could never work out when he was meant to go to work.

So, anyway, he's deemed fit for work and his money is cut. Every fortnight he has to sign on and say what he's been doing over the last forthnight to find a job. He can't get there on his own so a public employee has to take him. There is no concept that someone might need to help him find a job or indeed that nobody will ever give him a job. BTW, this was under Labour.

Comment

17% were able to do some sort of work given the correct support
            39% were deemed to be fit for work and were moved onto jobseeker's allowance
            The problem is resourcing that support (I'd suggest that anyone 'fit for work' who has been on long term sick is also going to need some support - if only in CV writing / interview technique etc).

Would you employ someone who'd been off work for the last 5 years?

Comment

The appeal rate is such that about 40% of those who are tested and appeal win. ATOS doesn't get fined for the number of decisions that are over turned on appeal.

Examples of people who win are people with terminal illnesses or serious mental health issues.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                The system to check on people's status is a joke. My sister is severely mentally handicapped, mental age of about 6 months, yet the powers that be insist on a home visit to appraise her every two years or so., They only have to walk in and see her before they say, "Ok, she obvisouly cannot work". You would think they could record this on the system and not visit again, but no they waste their time from various government depts to check, yet other workshy gits I know of never get investigated.
                I would have thought that you would be in support of stringent checks. One quick visit every 2 years is surely a small price to pay to ensure that the limited pool of money is going to the right people.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

While there are undoubtedly cases that are genuine, the majority are probably fraudulent.

Either through feigning illnesses that are hard to disprove, such as stress related, or by simply blagging them, such as drinking a few cans of beer prior to an assessment for alcoholism. Then you have those that go about on crutches yet are able to dance in the pub when they've had a skin full.

These are just some examples I've heard from friends and acquaintances. If there was a reward for grassing them up I'd be stalking them with a video camera!
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    While there are undoubtedly cases that are genuine, the majority are probably fraudulent.
                    If it is so then the fraudulent healthy ones will know enough to convince the ATOS doctors that they are ill, there as the actual ill ones will be the ones who tell the truth.

BTW I know and have met quite a few people with illnesses who while they could work, they would be a nuisance to any employer due to the unpredictability of their condition. There as some of the people that are traditionally classed as disabled are easy to work with as their condition is predictable.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 26 July 2011, 16:15.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X