• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip Off Abroad!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip Off Abroad!

As an aside to ScooterScots moaning about Britain on another thread what’s the most you’ve felt ripped off abroad.

Mine was a couple of weeks ago in Milan.

1 Medium Beer
    1 Spritz
    2 Sandwiches

= E36 !

Really didn’t see it coming, wasn’t in a landmark place, full of Italians and no ‘Tourist Menu board’. My mistake was probably just pointing to what I wanted, with the usual graces, and not asking to see the menu.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    As an aside to ScooterScots moaning about Britain on another thread what’s the most you’ve felt ripped off abroad.

Mine was a couple of weeks ago in Milan.

1 Medium Beer
    1 Spritz
    2 Sandwiches

= E36 !

Really didn’t see it coming, wasn’t in a landmark place, full of Italians and no ‘Tourist Menu board’. My mistake was probably just pointing to what I wanted, with the usual graces, and not asking to see the menu.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
    Theodosius I started out as a Milanese bar owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Really didn’t see it coming,
      But they saw you coming
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I guess it depends on your perspective...

I worked in China a couple of years ago and any meal over £8 / head is expensive.

One place I went to for fresh lobster (plus all the other dishes and wine etc) came to almost £15 / head... my Chinese companion thought it was expensive but I reckon it was dirt cheap!
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
          I guess it depends on your perspective...

I worked in China a couple of years ago and any meal over £8 / head is expensive.

One place I went to for fresh lobster (plus all the other dishes and wine etc) came to almost £15 / head... my Chinese companion thought it was expensive but I reckon it was dirt cheap!
          I think I heard this one from the BBC's "From Our Foreign Correspondent" series. Apparently in Syria there was one price for the locals, another for foreigner. The cheapest way to eat out was to ask out a local, bung him the money and ask him sort out the bill.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Price of chuffin beer in Dublin!! .. in fact the price of everything in Dublin.. Ridiculous.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

2 lemonades and 1 coke in Paris - 48 Euros.

Apart from the bill the whole thing was quite amusing.

We had 20 mins to kill before our boat tour, so popped into cafe for a drink. Ordered large lemonade.
              When it was delivered it was a huge jug (each) of freshly squeezed lemon - completely undrinkable. Poured in a entire bowl of sugar and diluted with water and just about managed to swallow some before we had to catch our boat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Price of chuffin beer in Dublin!! .. in fact the price of everything in Dublin.. Ridiculous.
                Not just Dublin, the whole of rip-off Ireland thinks it's shagging the Celtic Tiger!

Comment

In the highlands, helping my old man move house and stayed at a pub not too far from John o' groats. We arrived after they had stopped serving food but the landlord said he could knock up some sandwiches if we wanted. Round of beers and a round of sandwiches for four was almost fifty quid.

Again on one of the Greek islands, really friendly hotellier, promoting the seafood meze from the specials board (with no price) which sounded great - must've done it week in week out. Can't remember exactly how much, but I think that was about E60-70 for two when other neighbouring establishments were charging a lot less than half of that for similar dishes - it was a few years ago.

Comment

I went to Bali last year and nearly fell over when they asked 3 quid for my first beer. 10 years ago 3 quid would get you a decent meal and several beers. Spoke to an Oz bar owner who said they pushed beer tax up 400% and now everyone is heading to Vietnam where you can get lashed for a quid.

Mind you, last time I was in Hue and paid 1 dollar for a meal it came out exactly looking as it went in, prawns, onions, veg, rice.

Comment

Working...
                    X