• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never been on the bench in the summer before

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never been on the bench in the summer before

I always dreamed of being benched during the summer holidays with a suitably large warchest.

Well here we are, benched during the summer holidays with a warchest that is good until end of September. Now it's not all it's cracked up to be as I seem to spend most of my days worrying about why the contract market is so quiet.

I remember as a kid (my Dad was an IT contractor) that he would argue if you are out from early June don't expect to get back in until the autumn as people are on hols.

Is it simply this? Or is the market quieter than usual for this time of year?

I'm noticing that during the day the same 4 roles on jobserve are repeated throughout the day, and the calls I do get are mostly for permie gigs. Classic signs of a slow market in my eyes.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I think the seasonal thing is not as valid now as it was maybe 10 years ago when I first entered the fray.

I have a good mix of American IBs, UK IBs, retail banks, insurance, public sector, telcoms, startups and when you spread the net that wide seasonal hiring does not happen.

Chin up chuck, there is a gig out there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I think the seasonal thing is not as valid now as it was maybe 10 years ago when I first entered the fray.

I have a good mix of American IBs, UK IBs, retail banks, insurance, public sector, telcoms, startups and when you spread the net that wide seasonal hiring does not happen.

Chin up chuck, there is a gig out there for you.
      WHS but ... erm ... are you feeling OK minestrone?
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        It's the 'here kitty, puss puss' post. Then whammo!

Suityou, feck off you've only been contracting five minutes!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Don't know what has come over me!

Cracking day outside, Beach Boys on the MP3 player, train on time.

Hold on I just seen a cloud...

Have you got something to say to me? 'cos if you do I will...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Well here we are, benched during the summer holidays with a warchest that is good until end of September

SY01,

i'm sorry to say, that ain't a war chest mate, that's some pocket change to keep you going for two months.

You're in Luton, you should get on your mountain bike and tent and cycle upto East Anglia and spend
            the summer fruit picking to get some cash in !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              SY01,

i'm sorry to say, that ain't a war chest mate, that's some pocket change to keep you going for two months.

You're in Luton, you should get on your mountain bike and tent and cycle upto East Anglia and spend
              the summer fruit picking to get some cash in !

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                It's the 'here kitty, puss puss' post. Then whammo!

Suityou, feck off you've only been contracting five minutes!
                Yip sounds like a good way to spend £100
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                X