• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Doom

UK public sector debt estimated at £135,000 per household - Telegraph

Mr Morgan puts the public sector debt – around £900bn or 60pc of GDP in official figures – close to £3.6 trillion when the effects of bailing out the banks, public sector pension commitments and PFI contracts are included. That represents some £135,000 debt for every household.

Taking in private debts, such as mortgages, lifts the sum to £5 trillion, or 340pc of GDP. "The United Kingdom's debt mountain is manageable if – and only if – strong economic growth is to be anticipated," he said.

Will the Germans bail us out?

I'm thinking of lending the government some money via Zopa.

What interest rate should I set? I'm thinking maybe 29.99% that the credit card companies still get away with.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      I'm thinking of lending the government some money via Zopa.

What interest rate should I set? I'm thinking maybe 29.99% that the credit card companies still get away with.
      I think you'd stand more chance of seeing it again if you loaned it to some scabby crack whore.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Maybe it's time to split public from private debts - public sector repays its own debt with its own tax rates and spending cuts to ensure it, private sector already has to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          UK public sector debt estimated at £135,000 per household - Telegraph

Mr Morgan puts the public sector debt – around £900bn or 60pc of GDP in official figures – close to £3.6 trillion when the effects of bailing out the banks, public sector pension commitments and PFI contracts are included. That represents some £135,000 debt for every household.
          Simple solution.

Relax the immigration policy to inflate the population to 8,100,000,000,000 and each of us only owe £1.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Simple solution.

Relax the immigration policy to inflate the population to 8,100,000,000,000 and each of us only owe £1.
            Just read the actual report, seems all very well researched etc and we're all fcked. But then in the middle I read some bits and I wonder if an economist, putting together a paper should be quite so partisan:

"Labour’s period in office was
            characterised not just by economic
            and fiscal mismanagement but also
            by the promotion of a culture of moral
            absolutism centred around spurious
            and selective concepts of ‘fairness’.
            This culture, and the accompanying
            sense of individual and collective
            entitlement, is the biggest obstacle in
            the way of effective economic reform."

Arguably true ( I don't think so), but for me it has no place in an economic research paper.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Simple solution.

I thought you lived in Germany!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I thought you lived in Germany!
                Still have a UK Ltd that refuses to stop generating cash. What can I do?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X