• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My site only works as naked domain, not with www

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My site only works as naked domain, not with www

I set up a domain registration with Google and put a simple google-site placeholder there. I then purchased a hosting plan with GoDaddy, put up a page and changed the Google DNS to point the A record at GoDaddy's IP.

If I go to <mysite>.com, I get the GoDaddy page. If I go to www.<mysite>.com, I still get the Google page. I'm confused what is wrong and how to fix it. Anyone?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Sounds like you've set the @ A Record to GoDaddy but there is still an explicit www subdomain A Record set to Googles address?

Hard to say without knowing the domain, try something like intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health and see what the www bit at the bottom says.

Unlikely, but the address may be cached on your machine to try running: ipconfig /flushdns at the command line and try again, but more likely to be the subdomain record overriding the wildcard record.

Comment

The control panel supplied by my ISP there's has a checkbox for creating a www alias to the naked domain name. Do you see anything similar on GoDaddy and/or Google?

Once you get this sorted out you should pick one or the other as the main landing point to avoid Google et al deciding you have duplicate content. You can do this in your .htaccess file.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
      X