• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT giants 'ripping off Whitehall', say MPs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT giants 'ripping off Whitehall', say MPs

BBC News - IT giants 'ripping off Whitehall', say MPs

"The lack of IT skills in government and over-reliance on contracting out is a fundamental problem which has been described as a 'recipe for rip-offs'.
    Committee chairman, Conservative MP Bernard Jenkin, said that, according to some sources, the government had paid contractors between seven and 10 times more than the standard rate.
    You guys.. they should have used German IT companies,
    Last edited by scooterscot; 28 July 2011, 06:12.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Sadly its not us. Contractors charge a reasonable rate but the markups consultancies get away with is insane. £550 for a clueless graduate taking days to do work I could knock off in a couple of hours. £1000 for someone vaguely clueful. No wonder Bob managed to get his claws in when you look at the price of the alternatives.

Oh and its remarkable how many companies / agencies want a consultancy to avoid the pain of recruitment. Dodgy Agent is in the wrong game he should pretend his recruitment agency is actually a consultancy treble the rate and pocket the difference.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Oh and its remarkable how many companies / agencies want a consultancy to avoid the pain of recruitment. Dodgy Agent is in the wrong game he should pretend his recruitment agency is actually a consultancy treble the rate and pocket the difference.
      Have noticed in the past 12 month an increase in success dealing with clients directly, even a cold call paid off. Found out who the client was through an agency job description!
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I have found inhouse public sector employes just as bad at IT as outsourced teams to be honest, total Mongolian horde planning, large scale projects with managers who do not know a thing about technology hiring architects one would think drop an acid tab each day before directing a team of developers into a world of madness.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I have found inhouse public sector employes just as bad at IT as outsourced teams to be honest, total Mongolian horde planning, large scale projects with managers who do not know a thing about technology hiring architects one would think drop an acid tab each day before directing a team of developers into a world of madness.
          and that's why they hire the big consultancies!

Comment

No one ever got fired for choosing IBM a.k.a FUD

As true today as ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              BBC News - IT giants 'ripping off Whitehall', say MPs

You guys.. they should have used German IT companies,
              I'm working for one now, you think they have scruples??
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I work with a bank and their consultancies take £550/day for some bob to speak to me on the phone asking really stupid questions about MS Access.

I have seen invoices for excel sheet pushers at £1400/day and contracts for £500/day for a guy to design a spreadsheet to collect timesheet info.

These big consultancies are also favoured by the government procurement process due to the somewhat ridiculous requirements for even a tiny project. So the govt. has kinda f**ked themselves really.

Nothing will come of it I suspect. These consultancies donate massively to the parties.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Why should it just be IT specifics in the news

If you can charge £269 million for building a fookin swimming pool then it appears HMG is completely clueless about the cost of stuff

& as we all know in Business, the going rate is whatever you can get away with
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    If you can charge £269 million for building a fookin swimming pool then it appears HMG is completely clueless about the cost of stuff
                    At least you get swimming pool after it.

When bulltulip IT system is done lots of money gone and broken system remains that causes extra ongoing and redevelopment cost.

Whoever negociates such contracts is a complete idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X