• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC launches global iPlayer app

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC launches global iPlayer app

Finally.

BBC News - BBC launches global iPlayer app

The app will have one feature not available in the UK - the ability to download content and watch offline.

The project is being run BBC Worldwide-- the corporation's commercial arm - which said that money earned would help supplement licence-fee income.

Initially, global iPlayer will be available in 11 European countries: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, The Republic of Ireland, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.

It will cost 6.99 euro per month (£6.14), with the option of an annual subscription priced at 49.99 euro (£44).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

So much for the sanctimonious crap about "Our charter only allows us to broadcast within the UK" that we've been hearing for years.

I would have gladly paid for this a dozen years ago. Too late Aunty, I found another solution.

Rather than a seven-day catch-up service, it will offer a showcase of BBC shows, old and new. Examples given include Fawlty towers, Only Fools and Horses, Sherlock and Doctor Who.
    Oh FFS! That looks like the content of BBC Prime, which was effing dire.
    Last edited by Sysman; 28 July 2011, 10:06.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The app will have one feature not available in the UK - the ability to download content and watch offline.
      you can download in the UK, watching it only requires an internet connection to authenticate the DRM certs
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

So, it will be available for less than BBC taxes blind people in the UK every year?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          So, it will be available for less than BBC taxes blind people in the UK every year?
          You should consider that Imitation is the most acceptable part of Worship, and that the Gods had much rather Mankind should Resemble, than Flatter them.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            You should consider that Imitation is the most acceptable part of Worship, and that the Gods had much rather Mankind should Resemble, than Flatter them.
            So I am not on your ignore list afterall?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I see they are still after students. A few years ago they were actually advising them to take out student loans to pay for their TV licences.

TV Licensing - Students

If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a TV Licence.

Or all of these are true
              1. Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence
              2. AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
              3. AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

Hey it's improved. Sort of. They don't ban rechargeable batteries any more!
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

What about about the contractors who pay TV license fee and happen to be abroad during the week? It used to be proxy for me and it still is I'm definitely not paying twice just to find out that country I'm in is not on the list yet...

Comment

Any of you boffins tell how to install the app on my macbook pro?
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Any of you boffins tell how to install the app on my macbook pro?
                    Buy a PC next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X