• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it wrong to discriminate against Indian Recruitment Agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When an agent with an Indian accent phones me up about the role, one of the first things I ask them is what the rate is before I will even want to discuss the role with them. When any other agent calls me up, I am always happy to have a frank and open discussion before discussing the role. Simply because 99% of the time, the rate is going to be less than £200 per day. Is that wrong?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    When an agent with an Indian accent phones me up about the role, one of the first things I ask them is what the rate is before I will even want to discuss the role with them. When any other agent calls me up, I am always happy to have a frank and open discussion before discussing the role. Simply because 99% of the time, the rate is going to be less than £200 per day. Is that wrong?
    No, you're just using past experience to save yourself a few precious minutes.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      I think that would be 'discrimination against crap rates' would it not ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        No, you're just using past experience to save yourself a few precious minutes.
        That's the view I have taken. It's just that it seems to be Indian spoken Agents that I seem to have a problem with when it comes to discussing roles. There are a few non-Indian people I have a problem with, especially those who are phishing for opportunities and are "Just updating their system on your availability".
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          I think that would be 'discrimination against crap rates' would it not ?
          The discrimination against crap rates appear to occur before they tell me the rate. I have also identified that if some agent calls from an 0203 number, the chances are that they are calling from a Skype Number and are more likely to be an Indian Agent.... not necessarily from the same agency. Often or not, I appear to be right.

Comment

if an agent with a proper indian accent calls me I put the phone down

why,

do I seriously believe they will pay or there won't be further problems down the line - no

having worked with them, I wouldn't trust them as an agency

Milan.

Comment

Yes.
              That is why I ignore all Indian Recruitment Agents, lock, stock, and barrel.
              Can't be accused of discrimination then.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                if an agent with a proper indian accent calls me I put the phone down

why,

do I seriously believe they will pay or there won't be further problems down the line - no

having worked with them, I wouldn't trust them as an agency

Milan.
                WMS+1
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I once took a call from an Indian agent and quoted my lowest rate for a job; £300/day. They said their client would pay up to £200/day, yet they really sounded crestfallen.
                  I almost felt sorry for them.

It's almost like a schoolkid who phones up a TV company wanting them to put an advert on for a tenner, only to be told it'll cost something like £20000...

Comment

I ignore all agents that I'm not in a current contract with, whether it be by fax, email, or phone call.

If I'm looking for work I'll contact them. They soon forget how evasive I've been when they have a suitable vacancy on their books for me.

Experience has taught me that in at least 90% of cases being cold contacted by an agent is a waste of my time. Usually they are on CV harvesting or lead generating fishing trips. Then you've got those thinking I'd be interested in jumping ship for no significant advantage.

Only time a cold contact from an agent is worthwhile is when I'm between contracts and actively looking for a new one.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X