• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cop shows on TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cop shows on TV

I don't watch much TV and only have Freeview anyway. Seems to be a plethora of cop shows and some have been discussed here. Mostly US formulaic crap like CSI, NCIS etc.

Recently watched Luther on BBC iPlayer which was far superior to anything else I've watched recently and a refeshing change from the glam world of US crime drama.

Anything I'm missing or have I seen the best so far?
    Me, me, me...

Watch CSI quite a bit and it can be very good at times, the Tarantino double episode was outstanding TV, CSI NY is just pants.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I don't watch much TV and only have Freeview anyway. Seems to be a plethora of cop shows and some have been discussed here. Mostly US formulaic crap like CSI, NCIS etc.

Recently watched Luther on BBC iPlayer which was far superior to anything else I've watched recently and a refeshing change from the glam world of US crime drama.

Have you watched the Wire? Idris Elba in that too and is superb. Best show from the states for years IMHO
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Have you watched the Wire? Idris Elba in that too and is superb. Best show from the states for years IMHO
        Haven't heard of that one, maybe need to track that down.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I hated the wire, I thought the "**** **** ****" bit was the most contrived crap I have seen in a scene.

Swedish Wallander is top kwality though. Script, acting, production, all very impressive work.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I hated the wire, I thought the "**** **** ****" bit was the most contrived crap I have seen in a scene.

Swedish Wallander is top kwality though. Script, acting, production, all very impressive work.
            I wouldn't expect you to understand

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              I wouldn't expect you to understand

I am quite happy to go where the scriptwriter wants me to go but 2 minutes of **** is just poor writing.

Comment

Loving Dexter at the mo

Comment

Justified. It's about a US Marshall though so does it count?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Are you looking for recommendations for shows that are currently on air or are you willing to search them out on DVD?

Assuming the latter, I would suggest:

Luther, Series 1: Your original post suggests you have only seen the second series in which case, you should definitely get the first series.
                    It's far superior with a great performance by Ruth Wilson as Luthers adversary and will allow you to fill in (some of) Luthers backstory.

Justified, Series 1 & 2: The second series recently finished on Five USA and a third is in the works.
                    It stars Timothy Olyphant (of Carnivale fame) as a US Marshall who returns to the southern town where he grew up.
                    A little bit formulaic at times but an excellent cast and some sharp dialogue lifts it above the run of the mill cop shows.

The Wire: FX UK are currently repeating the series and are up to the first half of the second series.
                    I missed this show when it was first broadcast in, I think, 2005 and over the years have only ever heard how brilliant it is so started watching the FX repeats.
                    I thoroughly enjoyed the first series because of its slow pace which really draws you in as well as the obvious intelligence that has gone into the scripts.
                    It has a large cast of characters and, due to the relaxed pace, none of them is ignored when it comes to building their characters.

Comment

Working...
                    X