• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre incorporation expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre incorporation expenses

Hi All

I've just started up a ltd company.

Can anyone enlighten me to the rules regarding expenses that you can claim prior to incorporation? Previously I think you could claim any expenses that were reasonably incurred in the process of starting your business for up to 18mths beforehand - anyone confirm / deny this for me?

thanks

Originally posted by sphinx View Post
    Previously I think you could claim any expenses that were reasonably incurred in the process of starting your business for up to 18mths beforehand - anyone confirm / deny this for me?
    Ahh, I think 18 months is probably a bit too much unless you have actually set up a business as a sole trader with tangible assets and that you are going to sell those assets to to the LTD company at fair market rates.

Can you outline the expenses you have in mind?
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Your pre-incorporation expenses can be claimed as a tax deduction through your business. There is no time limit on this, but 18month-old expenses might be a bit of a stretch to explain to the tax office if you needed to. Same old rules apply, the expenses need to be incurred "wholly, exclusively, and necessarily.." for your business.

Time limits to apply for VAT purposes, from the date you became VAT registered (if this applies to you). See sections 11.2 and 11.3 of;
      HM Revenue & Customs
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
      X