• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

14000 lines in one source

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14000 lines in one source

ffs

Oh and hardly any comments

Oh and a spec written on the back of a crumpled fag packet that has an old egg and cress sandwich all over it.

Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Bugger, I must have forgotten to remove the comments. I hope you enjoy the egg & cress, it was Organic.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
      ffs

Oh and hardly any comments

Oh and a spec written on the back of a crumpled fag packet that has an old egg and cress sandwich all over it.

Reminds me of the 4inch thick listing of 'C' I was given once to modify. No comments and the first 2inches was the definitions of global variables.

Yes it was a pig to work with.

Comment

What does this source do exactly, that requires all those lines?

Sounds very complicated.

Comment

The spec seems to imply its straight forward, but there seems to be a substancial bit under what appears to be penecillin that may give away more.

Oh and the bug I'm fixing is somthing like.

It fell over six months ago, we don't know why and have no information to give you. When we went to re run it it fell over producing meaning full errors but couldn't be bothered to record them. We frigged some data and then it worked.

O well its Friday, maybe I'll have a POETS day
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

a) the first 2 inches were
            b) How can any IT manager allow such complete tulipe to get into production?
            I bet some bloody useless permie wrote it. What was the programming language, BTW?
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

b) Where is Tex when you want to blame his family

COBOLlox bloody legacy systems

There appears to have been at least 6 sets of paws in the code (5 permie and 1 contrator)

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                How can any IT manager allow such complete tulipe to get into production?
                I bet some bloody useless permie wrote it. What was the programming language, BTW?
                This was one of the main products from an image analysis products company.

a) Yes some useless permie wrote it

b) I was a useless permie when I had to alter it

c) 'C' - known in some qtrs as a Write-Only language

d) Now I'm not so useless - I'm a contractor charging oodles because the useless permies have fubar'ed it.

Comment

After a quick scan of the code there are 4 distinct areas of processing hmm 4 programs me thinks

I also found the test spec 4 tests, and at least 140 known failure conditions in the code (ROW not found kind of stuff).

This is gonna turn out to be just like the last one I fixed.
                  1 day to change the code
                  0 days to change the design spec (what spec) and
                  3 weeks to write a decent test spec (reverse enginered from the code, that way you know all the tests will pass)

Comment

14,000 lines of commentless COBOL? Die, permie scum, die!
                    When,when,when will clients learn that code must be commented????
                    I spent three days two weeks ago attempting to understand WTF a crappy program was doing. Three days at several hundred Euros a day before the first corrective 'MOVE' has been written.
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X