• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK households squeezed harder than US or Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK households squeezed harder than US or Europe

According to research by Haver Analytics, real disposable income is shrinking at a rate of about 3pc in the UK, but is contracting by just 0.5pc in the eurozone and continues to rise by 2pc in the US. The main squeeze on households has come from rising prices for food and energy, uniform across the world, but the weak pound has exacerbated the problem in the UK.

Peter Spencer, professor of economics and finance at the University of York, said: "It is the devaluation of the pound that has added to pressures on households. All other things being equal, we would still be paying more for imports than they [the US and Europe] would."

The pound has fallen by about 20pc against a basket of currencies since 2007, increasing the cost of imports. As the UK is a net importer, the squeeze on households has been more marked than the benefits of more competitive exports enjoyed by manufacturers. Households are now forecast to suffer a second successive year of sliding real disposable incomes, after enduring the biggest fall in spending power in 34 years.

Source: UK households squeezed harder than US or Europe - Telegraph

--

I am actually suprised how high GBP is compared to USD at the moment, parity with euro looming in 2012...

Tell me about, it never before have I owned a 6 year old car and there's little chance of changing it any time soon.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

In 2007 Thai Tat could be purchased at 76 baht to the pound. Now 46 baht.

Indonsian rupiah 17000 now 11000.

Cost of importing when including cargo etc was an increase of 50% not 20.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Tell me about, it never before have I owned a 6 year old car and there's little chance of changing it any time soon.
        To be fair car prices is one those things that did not increase much.

Comment

Working...
        X