• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bradford & Bingley hit by interest rise from Treasury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bradford & Bingley hit by interest rise from Treasury

The Treasury has raised the rate of interest on loans used to prop up Bradford & Bingley (B&B) during the banking crisis, in a move that will accelerate payments to the Exchequer.

The increase in the interest payment – from 1.5 percentage points over base rates to five – was revealed as the taxpayer-backed company that owns B&B's mortgages and Northern Rock Asset Management (NRAM) – the "bad" part of the Newcastle-based lender – said it had paid back another £1bn to the government. The two banks still owe £47.7bn.

UK Asset Resolution (UKAR) also reported an increase in profits for NRAM in the six months to June, to £344m from £182m, and a rise at B&B to £152m from £83.6m.

More from the source: Bradford & Bingley hit by interest rise from Treasury | Business | guardian.co.uk

---

Interesting they got used to low BoE rates and just increased premium to 5%, I wonder if that means that the rates will stay low...

Hang on, I am trying to think of a response that shows my profound grasp of financial matters. Did I mention I found a spider in my underpants?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Hang on, I am trying to think of a response that shows my profound grasp of financial matters. Did I mention I found a spider in my underpants?
      I'll pay you 1.5% over base for it.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The most profound response to an AtW post on economics is normally "bollocks".

But as he didn't comment on his cut and paste this time, that doesn't really apply.

Edit: Oh wait, there's a line at the bottom. I thought that was his sig, but on second thoughts ..

bollocks

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

A Scottish Widow?

Comment

Working...
          X