• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yanks more optimistic about raising debt ceiling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yanks more optimistic about raising debt ceiling

Linky

US political rivals are cautiously optimistic about the chances of raising the $14.3tn (£8.7tn) debt limit by Tuesday and averting possible default.

Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell said the sides were "very close" to a $3tn deal after talks with Vice-President Joe Biden.

Senior Senate Democrat Richard Durbin spoke of "a more positive feeling".
    Blatant brinkmanship or blatant bedwetting?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

The latter, if the announcement isn't just "moral pressure" on dissenters to toe the line.

Republicans should force the issue to a head, to curb Obama's megalomanic spending plans.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      The latter, if the announcement isn't just "moral pressure" on dissenters to toe the line.

Republicans should force the issue to a head, to curb Obama's megalomanic spending plans.
      Repulibcans = Torys right?

If so is Obama their Gordon Brown?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Senate Blocks Reid’s Debt Ceiling Plan; Talks Continue

FAIL

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/us...L.html?_r=1&hp

WASHINGTON — Last-ditch budget talks between top Congressional Republicans and President Obama continued on Sunday, as the top Senate Republican and Democrat both expressed optimism that a $3 trillion deal could be reached to avert the economic and political calamity of a potential federal default. But without a compromise in hand, the divided Senate could not break a filibuster and went wearily into recess while the leaders resumed their search for something that could pass.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

THis could turn messy tomorrow on the markets.

Comment

There's a nicely informative 1-page article in the current New Yorker about this.

Comment

1. How long will $3trillion last?
              2. I grew up thinking a filibuster was a sandwich. I still think it should be.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X