• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My question on Newbies has been answered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question on Newbies has been answered

I asked the question 'Where are All The Newbies?'. I wondered if the reason there seemed to be so few new people is that the veteran posters here don't want them and gang up on them.

Here's who responded to my question.

Posts - Name ------ Joining Date

15,654 Mariliion Man July 2005 (3 replies)
    25,082 AtW July 2005 (2)
    5,755 snaw Jul 2005
    5,752 Cliphead Nov 2005 (5)
    7,407 Pondlife May 2006
    5,088 Old Greg Mar 2007 (4)
    13,494 eternaloptimist Jul 2005
    17,172 Zippy Aug 2006 (7)
    1,366 Fullyautomatix Feb 2010
    98 Benny Apr 2006
    9,343 d000hg Dec 2007 (2)
    1,474 Simon Mac Aug 2007
    7,794 Minestrone Apr 2008
    3,550 Ruprect Jun 2006
    5,352 Mary Poppins Apr 2008 (3)
    5,777 Owlhoot Jul 2005
    151 Darrenb Sep 2006
    1,916 K2p2 Sep 2009
    1 harrygibson Jul 2011 (another poster said he was a regular pretending to be new)
    5,457 Gonzo Sep 2006 (7)
    39 Pork Belly Jun 2011

There were 46 posts altogether from 21 different posters (not including myself).

Only 4 were from people who joined in the past 3 years.

12 of the 21 posters joined in 2005/2006.

31 of the 46 posts were from people who joined in 2005 / 2006.

I ask again - where are all the newbies?

And why are there not more of them?

Are they discouraged from joining and when they do are they picked on?

Are the moderators encouraging or discouraging new posters?

Craic, I'm about the nicest most limp wristed bedwettingest poster on here and I want to pick on you.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Craic View Post
      I asked the question 'Where are All The Newbies?'. I wondered if the reason there seemed to be so few new people is that the veteran posters here don't want them and gang up on them.

Here's who responded to my question.

Posts - Name ------ Joining Date

15,654 Mariliion Man July 2005 (3 replies)
      25,082 AtW July 2005 (2)
      5,755 snaw Jul 2005
      5,752 Cliphead Nov 2005 (5)
      7,407 Pondlife May 2006
      5,088 Old Greg Mar 2007 (4)
      13,494 eternaloptimist Jul 2005
      17,172 Zippy Aug 2006 (7)
      1,366 Fullyautomatix Feb 2010
      98 Benny Apr 2006
      9,343 d000hg Dec 2007 (2)
      1,474 Simon Mac Aug 2007
      7,794 Minestrone Apr 2008
      3,550 Ruprect Jun 2006
      5,352 Mary Poppins Apr 2008 (3)
      5,777 Owlhoot Jul 2005
      151 Darrenb Sep 2006
      1,916 K2p2 Sep 2009
      1 harrygibson Jul 2011 (another poster said he was a regular pretending to be new)
      5,457 Gonzo Sep 2006 (7)
      39 Pork Belly Jun 2011

There were 46 posts altogether from 21 different posters (not including myself).

Only 4 were from people who joined in the past 3 years.

12 of the 21 posters joined in 2005/2006.

31 of the 46 posts were from people who joined in 2005 / 2006.

Are the moderators encouraging or discouraging new posters?
      Are you very, very bored?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Are you very, very bored?
        It begins.

It's the old technique.

If you can't attack the argument - attack the person making it.

It's very, very predictable.

Comment

It begins.

It's the old technique.

If you can't attack the argument - attack the person making it.

It's very, very predictable.
          You sir are predictable. Please FOAD.

<suity in churchill mode>
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It seems we don't actually get that many newbies joining.

I think that less people are deciding to go contracting in the current climate and most of their questions are answered already so there isn't much in the way of motivation for those new to contracting to join. I would expect most existing contractors will have come across the site already and either not bothered joining (cos, like, what is the point really) or joined but don't post because they have better things to do. I only bothered because I was exceedingly bored in my last gig.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              You sir are predictable. Please FOAD.

<suity in churchill mode>
              Do you think 'sir' that this might be the reason that new people don't join or don't stay?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                It seems we don't actually get that many newbies joining.

I think that less people are deciding to go contracting in the current climate and most of their questions are answered already so there isn't much in the way of motivation for those new to contracting to join. I would expect most existing contractors will have come across the site already and either not bothered joining (cos, like, what is the point really) or joined but don't post because they have better things to do. I only bothered because I was exceedingly bored in my last gig.
                Thank you for putting an intelligent reply rather than just indulging in insults.

I would disagree with you though. The contracting market has already recovered from the recession and there are just as many people going contracting as there used to be. Perhaps there are answers to the questions they would ask but I would suggest that a new contractor wouldn't know them.

I woud suggest that other replies to this thread show more the reason why so few newbies are joining this board.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Craic, I'm about the most limp wristed bedwettingest poster on here and I want to pick on you.
                  I think you just lost that title.

Comment

There are many newbies on the CUK. They can be found in the professional and Welcome/FAQs forums. They are treated courteously and they have their questions answered.

Some come into the bear pit that is General, most don't as it serves a different purpose.

General is a playground and playground ettiquette takes precedence. Anyone who had to join a new school will be familiar with this etiquette.

Do not try to be an alpha without first finding out the lay of the land. Do not attempt to lead groups without first joining them. Show them that you are worthy of their friendship, to this end be collaborative while showing that you are independent and not sucky or needy.

And if you want to ignore this ettiquette that's fine too, but don't whinge that people react negatively when you do.

This forum isn't much different to others. People are people and that's the way they work.

HTH.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X