• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Skillset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Skillset

Was wondering if anyone has changed skill-set, i.e. changing your primary programming language. The difficulty I see is you will have no real commercial experience, has anyone ever done this?

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Was wondering if anyone has changed skill-set, i.e. changing your primary programming language. The difficulty I see is you will have no real commercial experience, has anyone ever done this?
    Yep. When contracting around 16 years ago went in as a C++ programmer and they let me teach myself Java on company time and did both languages for them whilst I was there. From then on I got mainly Java work. Java was new then though so not a lot of people around with the skills.
    Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
      Yep. When contracting around 16 years ago went in as a C++ programmer and they let me teach myself Java on company time and did both languages for them whilst I was there. From then on I got mainly Java work. Java was new then though so not a lot of people around with the skills.
      As LJE said the usual way is to do it on the job while using your other skills. I've noticed a few people claiming to learn C# while doing VBA work and a lot of people seem to be learning SSIS while doing C# or something similar.

I can't see why you would want to move from C# as your primary toolset I've never had any problem doing vb.net development when required.

I think you may be looking at it the wrong way and rather than change your toolset increase your repertoire a bit towards architecture, Business Analysis or Project Management. You don't want to be a jack of all trades but a broad vertical skillset from Business Analysis to testing won't do you any harm.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You don't want to be a jack of all trades but a broad vertical skillset from Business Analysis to testing won't do you any harm.
        Thank you - I was wondering how best to describe my broad vertical skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Thank you - I was wondering how best to describe my broad vertical skillset.
          Better that than MF's broad and dwarf look.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I moved from C and C++ to Java which is my main language now.

I picked up PHP on a gig and created a fairly large site using it on a gig but I am not going to claim I am an all knowing God on the stuff and it is not on my CV. Had no problems doing it as they were paying me a java architect rate.

I got hired for a C# gig did the tutorials and got shifted team after a week and never touched the stuff.

I personally find moving technologies now fairly easy, it is the insane pish that permies write that hardly works using the technology which is the tough stuff working out.

Comment

Working...
            X