• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The inevitable investment in a property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The inevitable investment in a property

So I have amassed a medium-sized warchest and seeing how the value of all major currencies are being devalued so even my volatile stock investment is earning me less than inflation and my savings ISA is definitely less than inflation. So it seems inevitable that the only sensible place to put your money in is a property.
    Anything wrong with buying land and building a house on it for cash or maybe a small mortgage for an already built house?
    Honestly it seems like the best proposition out there as one cas at least live there and even if it loses value, it will always be worth something (as opposed to say shares or Internet startups...)

I'm in a position where I really don't want a house but it almost feels like a lesser evil - at least the money's burned and I won't have to worry about managing my portfolio everyday?

Buy a house from Bob for just 500 Euros. Just need some land to put it on. You know it makes sense!

BBC News - India's Tata group to launch 'world's cheapest homes'
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Or you could buy some gold.

South Korea bolsters gold reserves - FT.com
      Gold Advances, Nears Record Price as Slowing Factory Growth Spurs Demand - Bloomberg
      $2,000 for an Ounce of Gold Seems Like the Only Bet Worth Making

Comment

I have *some* gold in my portfolio, but as such it doesn't yield you any direct benefits, whereas having a house has a benefit that you can live there, also gives you a place to dig that gold in? ;D

Comment

If you're a true gambler, why not invest in a start-up? Google, Facebook, Linked-In... how much would you have made by investing in the early days?
          I'm sure we have someone on these boards with a sure-fire Plan B. Sas wasn't it?
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            If you're a true gambler, why not invest in a start-up? Google, Facebook, Linked-In... how much would you have made by investing in the early days?
            I'm sure we have someone on these boards with a sure-fire Plan B. Sas wasn't it?
            AtW's SKA is going to be the next big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              AtW's SKA is going to be the next big thing.
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...es-thread.html
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                I have *some* gold in my portfolio, but as such it doesn't yield you any direct benefits, whereas having a house has a benefit that you can live there, also gives you a place to dig that gold in? ;D
                What like you put £10,000 in and then in a few months, sell and take £20,000 out, and that isn't a direct "benefit"?

Yeah, buy a house, they only ever go up in price and you can sell it at the drop of a hat, and then be homeless too.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  What like you put £10,000 in and then in a few months, sell and take £20,000 out, and that isn't a direct "benefit"?
                  Where can I get insurance against any sudden devaluing of an investment in gold?

Surely if gold is only going to go up in value in the near term there will be companies offering insurance against loss of investment, as it will be a sure fire money maker for them. i.e. little chance of anyone claiming on the insurance.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    If you're a true gambler, why not invest in a start-up?

A strategic gamble on a start-up would be to approach companies that have landed investment on Dragon's Den.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X