• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll: Contrator Morals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Contrator Morals

You have written a piece of software which allows you to compress a months worth of work down to at most 2 days. The end result looking to the client as if it's been hand crafted. Do you:
    Complete the work in 2 days, astounding the client
    6.67%
    Take it easy for a week or 2 and still impress the client with the speed of delivery
    46.67%
    Slack of for the full month and deliver on time
    33.33%
    Tell the client about the software and work that into the project plan
    0.00%
    Give up and become AndyWs step dad
    13.33%
    Coffee's for closers

Edit, got the wrong end of the stick

Tell them you can do it in 15 days, slack off and look good.

Comment

Spend the next 3 weeks perfecting it at your own pace. Therefore delivering a week early but knowing that it will work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        You have written a piece of software which allows you to compress a months worth of work down to at most 2 days. The end result looking to the client as if it's been hand crafted. Do you:

Crap question; a real contractor downloads a piece of software allowing one to 'compress a months worth of work down to at most 2 days', then invoices for the full month.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Crap question; a real contractor downloads a piece of software allowing one to 'compress a months worth of work down to at most 2 days', then invoices for the full month.
          thats why one of the answers is:
          "Slack of[sic] for the full month and deliver on time "
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Shouldn't the Poll be for Contrator Spelling?

Or Contrator Stiky Keyboards?

What have you been doing while working at your laptop??
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              And a "real contractor" HAS no morals!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Shouldn't the Poll be for Contrator Spelling?

Or Contrator Stiky Keyboards?

What have you been doing while working at your laptop??
                On client machine with a keyboard which I'm not used to and having to use IE with no spell check
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

You have written this?
                  If that is the case then you should do a projection of how much money the company will save over the next 10 years by purchasing the very reasonably priced piece of proprietary software.
                  Suitable price being 1 years worth of savings + maintenance contract or 2.5 years including source.
                  Otherwise keep doing it by hand and billing for the month.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I have tools that I have developed that i use presently.

The use of these tools reduce prototyping and unit testing from 15 days down to 3. I still quote 15 days in the project plans I implement. That's because I own them and not the
                    client, so if someone else does the
                    work then it takes 15 days.

What is allows me to do though is save time in plan to
                    account for issues elsewhere. So far at clientco every project I have worked on has been delivered on time. Every other
                    project they do is late.

(on that basis when I delivered last week against the odds I was told to expect to be around all next year as well)
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X