• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War on slugs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War on slugs

Thanks to the phenomenally dry April, gardeners haven’t had much of a problem with slugs this year. It’s only now, with the wet weather of July, that numbers are on the rise. In summer, it takes about 10 days for the clusters of tiny, pearl-like eggs to hatch, so more slugs are definitely on the way.

There are 29 species of slug in Britain, but just four give the rest a bad name: the common garden slug, a leathery gunmetal grey and the length of your little finger; the fat, sickly grey field slug; the black slug, the biggest (and sometimes rust coloured) and keeled slugs, which have a ridge along their backs and a taste for potatoes.

Snails do their fair share of damage too, but, while snails chew the edges of foliage and open up the holes already made by slugs, it’s the slugs’ rasping mouth parts that scrape away and puncture the surface of foliage and turn your hostas into doilies.

More of slugfest from the source: The war on slugs starts at home - Telegraph

Bastards! Slugs are lovely little things. Here is Yellow Slug and Great Black Slug.

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Slug pellets then throw the dead f*ckers over in to the next doors weed bed.

Then if I'm bothered spray the plants with a lovely garlic clove concoction.

Works brilliantly with snails as well as neither of them like smelly plants like herbs.

I was going to bury a jam jar of beer in my two of my nephews garden as an experiment but we drank the beer. Though I'm tempted to do do some oats.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I was going to bury a jam jar of beer in my two of my nephews garden as an experiment but we drank the beer. Though I'm tempted to do do some oats.
        I think the dregs from the cans work just as well. Not sure about the ones with fag butts in.
        Apparently they are also attracted to hollowed out citrus fruit. You can then pick 'em up and chuck 'em in the beer dregs.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
          Noooooo!!! Catch 'em and eat 'em!!!

How to cook a slug
          Not after they consumed the pellets.

I was unhappy find after I first used them I could have convinced a small male child to go slug and snail collecting for me. I find small children are very easy to bribe into continuing their good behaviour especially as toys are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I find small children are very easy to bribe into continuing their good behaviour especially as toys are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              I think the dregs from the cans work just as well. Not sure about the ones with fag butts in.
              Apparently they are also attracted to hollowed out citrus fruit. You can then pick 'em up and chuck 'em in the beer dregs.
              I think the younger of the 2 boys could have alcohol problems as he tries to ensure he gets the last bit of the can. I obviously have to give him the hangover lesson.

But thanks I will try the citrus fruit and chuck the slugs/snails into the next door neighbours weed bed.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                He's just trying to be cool, but smoking is bad for you.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  What?

Lots of parents don't encourage or praise their children when they are doing good things because they think it's normal child behaviour and they should act like it. Likewise teachers tend to ignore the good kids because they are no hassle for them.

So having dealt with children who are brats due to their parenting, I always praise those who are doing good acts. (Yes I've helped out in schools and playgroups.)

And while I know girls who like slugs and snails the only one who is a direct neighbour happens to be a boy.

But then again I come from a large family and I also have friends of different ages.

Comment

Slugs are much cheaper than children and the slime is nothing compared to what a baby generates.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X