• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Death of Creationism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death of Creationism

Nah, I bet it's all the devil's work really...

A Fish With Fingers

Time Magazine: The 383-million-year-old "Fishapod" fossil provides a crucial link in the evolutionary chain
    By MICHAEL LEMONICK
    Wednesday, Apr. 05, 2006

People who doubt the truth of Darwinian evolution love to claim that there are no transitional fossils—no remains of ancient creatures that have the characteristics of two different kinds of organism, mixed together. If evolution were true, you'd expect to see them.

Actually, you do: transitional forms like Archaeopteryx, a lizard-like bird, have been known for many decades, and more pop up all the time. But casts from a newly discovered fossil, slated to go on display at the London Science Museum tomorrow are, by all accounts, the most impressive example to date of a transitional form. They come from a remarkable creature, mostly fish-like but with some clear adaptations that let it operate on land. It fits perfectly with the conventional tale told by evolutionists the epochal moment when animals first began to emerge from their ancestral ocean.

The fossils of the approximately 9-ft. long creature, which are, described in two Nature articles released today, were dug out of rock formations on Ellesmere Island, in the Canadian Arctic, by paleontologists from the University of Chicago and several other institutions. Its nickame, for reasons that will become clear, is "fishapod"; it's more formally called Tiktaalik ("large fish in stream," in the local Inuit language). Fishapod dates from about 383 million years ago. It had the scales, teeth and gills of a fish, but also a big, curved rib cage that suggests the creature had lungs as well. The ribs interlock, moreover, unlike a fish's, implying they were able to bear fishapod's weight—an unnecessary trait in a fish. It had a neck—most unfishlike. And, most surprising of all, its pectoral fins included bones that look like nothing less than a primitive wrist and fingers.

In short, fishapod adds one more brick, and an especially important one, to the edifice of Darwinian evolution—and at the same time puts the so-called theory of intelligent design into even greater question than it already faces. That would be true if only because any designer who deliberately made such a queer fish would have been more of a practical joker than anything else. But it also demonstrates that while evolution has plenty of missing bits of evidence, they keep showing up all the time to strengthen it. Evolution is, as ID supporters love to say, "just" a theory. It also happens to be one of the most successful scientific theories in history, whose predictions of what should be found in the fossil record have been proven out… for the zillionth time.

It's always puzzled me why religious types feel their religion to be under threat by evolutionary theory. The one does not preclude the other in my view. As Prof. Winston said in that excellent programme a couple of months back when interviewing looney creationists/intelligent design buffs: "Surely religion, as a matter of faith, is all about 'in spite of' rather than 'because of'"

Very few 'religious types' do feel under this threat. It's a view that some scientists promote more because some scientists have a chip on their shoulder and want seem like they're annoying somebody. I think it's because all the big names like Copernicus, Freud, Pasteur got lots of resistance from the establishment, and today's scientists (who are the establishment) feel a bit lost without it.

Comment

Ah, I see. So are you saying creationists/intelligent designers are just being controversial for the sake of it and don't really believe it themselves?

Comment

I never see how Darwinism in any way disproves god either, he could just have created the rules.

I think it's more about the need to avoid challenging anything in the Bible. Once you start saying this bit isn't really true or that bit is just an allegory, it opens the way to the whole ridiculous edifice of belief tumbling down.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
          I think it's more about the need to avoid challenging anything in the Bible. Once you start saying this bit isn't really true or that bit is just an allegory, it opens the way to the whole ridiculous edifice of belief tumbling down.
          Or, in the case of the Koran, it's the twin towers.
          Last edited by wendigo100; 9 April 2006, 08:41.

Comment

Working...
          X