• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to negotiate a rate rise considering my situation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to negotiate a rate rise considering my situation?

I accepted a contract offer few months go with the rate of £300 which expires in 3 weeks time (my second contract).

The rate is quite low with regard to my 10 years experience in software development and 8-9 qualifications; MCPD, MCTS, etc..

The client is quite happy with my work and its delivery and it's highly likely to extend my contract; they recently hired another contractor with the rate £370 who has much less experience than me.

I'd like to negotiate a rate rise so I've started taking my calls (I receive 5-6 at least a day from agencies but due to stammering and being busy I most often just ignore them) and going to few interviews to strengthen my position.

My current desired rate is £400 (to be over the moon) and minimum £350.

How should I present this pay rise to the client and/or my agency? When (only 3 weeks left)?

Thanks for your advice,

Do you like movies about Gladiators?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post
      I accepted a contract offer few months go with the rate of £300 which expires in 3 weeks time (my second contract).

The rate is quite low with regard to my 10 years experience in software development and 8-9 qualifications; MCPD, MCTS, etc..

The client is quite happy with my work and its delivery and it's highly likely to extend my contract; they recently hired another contractor with the rate £370 who has much less experience than me.

I'd like to negotiate a rate rise so I've started taking my calls (I receive 5-6 at least a day from agencies but due to stammering and being busy I most often just ignore them) and going to few interviews to strengthen my position.

How should I present this pay rise to the client and/or my agency? When (only 3 weeks left)?

Thanks for your advice,

The pay is based on supply and demand, not skills. I usually negotiate hard and end up on better rate than my contractors.

Best I can suggest is to put in a small rate rise that you think the client or agent can accept even if it means a cut out of the agent’s chunk.

Now be off with you. You are lucky to get a sensible answer from without me sending you an invoice!
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic View Post

Thanks for your advice,
        Don't take the calls at work or if you have to do it discretely. Overtly courting other prospects will not endear you to them.

Why not just ask your pimp to negotiate the rate rise for you? Tell him/her what you want and see if they can sort something out. That's what they're there for aint it?
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You need a negotiating tool so find another contract so that its clear you can and will walk.

Then you need to negotiate with the agent to get the rise you want. He may then need to negotiate with the end client but that is not your concern.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You need a negotiating tool so find another contract so that its clear you can and will walk.

Then you need to negotiate with the agent to get the rise you want. He may then need to negotiate with the end client but that is not your concern.
            It's this kind of bollocks that gets contractors a bad name. If you have a contract to go to, then go. Don't play one off against the other like some sort of child.

Straight talking and straight dice all the way. Mess people about and you'll end up with nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              It's this kind of bollocks that gets contractors a bad name. If you have a contract to go to, then go. Don't play one off against the other like some sort of child.

Straight talking and straight dice all the way. Mess people about and you'll end up with nothing.
              It doesn't need to be a contract he physically has got. What he needs to know with some conviction is that the current market value is x with enough evidence to convince the agent that he knows the price of his skills. without that the agent will merely say well all I can do is Y and will then be mightly annoyed as his pay packet (you) disappears.

The thing to remember is that many agents don't deal in any particular market. They take whatever contract is available and simple find people for it (today may be .net tomorrow oracle, wednesday data warehouse...). They only know what others tell them the going rate is and its why you are on £300 a day and your new mate is on £370.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

W Eek Says.

You don't have to have another contract in place to
                ask for more money. In most cases telling them you're looking elsewhere at £x will be enough to
                solicit an increase if they want you.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  W Eek Says.

You don't have to have another contract in place to
                  ask for more money. In most cases telling them you're looking elsewhere at £x will be enough to
                  solicit an increase if they want you.
                  Yes but that isn't what Eek said originally. A sense of market worth will always be a useful tool, and a toe in the water with only 3 weeks to go would be necessary anyway.

But do talk to your pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Best I can suggest is to put in a small rate rise that you think the client or agent can accept even if it means a cut out of the agent’s chunk.
                    a small rate rise that agent can accept?! e.g. £301! I don't think you mean what you wrote.

Comment

Working...
                    X