• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British teenager named 'Microsoft Excel world champion'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You lot are overpaid - Thought Mr opinionated would have won this blindfolded

Rebecca Rickwood, 15, from Cambridgeshire, clinched the win ahead of 228,000 international rivals.

The 79 finalists in the “2011 Worldwide Competition on Microsoft Office” battled it out this week in San Diego, California. Rebecca took first prize in the Excel 2007 category.

“It’s amazing. I didn’t think I’d win it,” she said.

“First we had to take a qualifying exam which I took back in about October. Then at the end of June we got the phone call saying I’d got the best score in the UK so I was coming to San Diego for the world championships.”
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Congratulations Rebecca.

Phone us when you've got yourself a life.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Doesn't seem all that many years ago that our own sasguru snatched the same coveted prize. And now look at him!
      He has his own shed and everything!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

“There’s a lot of Asians here and usually they’re the ones who get all the top prizes, so I didn’t think that I would” said Rebecca.
        The teenager, who would like to do "something to do with computing" when she leaves school, takes home home a $5,000 prize.
        says a lot
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Congratulations Rebecca.

Phone us when you've got yourself a life.
          Did you really just write that.

I can see a whole Tefal factory tittering now.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Did you really just write that.

I can see a whole Tefal factory tittering now.
            Teenagers should have much better things to do than piss around with excel sheets. Sex, booze and rock and roll, for a start. Oops, sorry, IT nerds around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Teenagers should have much better things to do than piss around with excel sheets. Sex, booze and rock and roll, for a start. Oops, sorry, IT nerds around here.
              Makes the point really, your joke was rather ironic and given than her Mother is the microsoft trainer at the school she might have had a little bit of an advantage

Anyway, she also plays the flute
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

She likes blowing then? Her future boyfriends will be pleased about that.

Comment

worked in a posh school for a while and once saw a boy in the junior school reading an MSSQL manual... didnt know whether to be impressed or depressed....
                  sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Makes the point really, your joke was rather ironic and given than her Mother is the microsoft trainer at the school she might have had a little bit of an advantage

This one time at band camp...
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X