• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon Brown to send £8.5bn to Africa etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Brown to send £8.5bn to Africa etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4893980.stm

So relax... El Gordo wouldnt be offshoring £8,500,000,000 of UK tax money if the NHS was failing and making staff redundant, or there was a crisis in pensions...

There.. proof positive that the economy is sound... I mean, if it wasnt, why would nu labour send so much money out of the country....? (While inviting so many people from eastern europe to come and work here, just as the NHS is sacking staff... hmmmmm).

My personal suggestion - send El Gordo to live in Africa... let him impose his bizarre form of 'fiscal prudence' by fiddling the books and see if he isnt shot by some dictator (and not blair) within a few months.....
    Vieze Oude Man

I think it is the right thing to do as we are so rich in the west, and we are only rich because they are so poor.

My Algerian co-worker tells me that there were never any famines in Africa until the Europeans arrived (18C) . He also tells me that previously there was no slavery or disease, not even sickle cell anemia, apparently these are all things the Europeans brought to Africa and he says it with such sincerity it must be correct.

It must have been a truely wonderful place so it is only right the west payout for all the damage they have done.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Actually, wasnt it the UN that hacked all those Tutsis and Hutus to death in Rwanda...? Suprised nobodies tried to sue them for compensation....
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

A Nigerian told me that Aids was created by America to devastate Africa. Well, I think we owe Africa compensation.

Comment

nobody's
          We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

It is a well known fact that the Sahara was lush forest and grassland until Europeans invaded and started cutting down trees to catch gorillas. No amount of our money could compensate for that.

Comment

Why is he giving so much of our money overseas ?

How will this benefit me and my local community ?

How will it benefit the 94-year old veteran who lives 2 doors down from me who can't afford a daily carer and has to rely on family ?

How will it benefit the family with a spastic child across the road where one parent has had to give up work ?

How will it help the local primary school fund new books because the LEA have cut all budgets ?

How will it help the local church repair the damaged vestry after a fire by yobboes ?

How will it help the local doctors purchase an x-ray machine, so patients can be x-rayed quickly, rather than wait 8 weeks for a hospital appointment.

Gordon ? WTF are you doing ?
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

1. That sum is over 10 years

2. UK Overseas aid is one of the lowest in the EU at around 0.4% of GDP.
                http://europa.eu.int/comm/competitio...cators/k1.html

3. Pretty low for a country that ruled much of the region in question and got rich from it.

4. Unless the third world is made bearable to live in, mass migration will continue increasing on a large scale.

But when did IT geeks/code monkeys ever look at the big picture, eh?

HTH
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Malaria

One of the worst legacies of the colonial period is the herrendous problems caused by Malaria which was introduced by the British in revenge for the Africans getting all the best roles in the films 'Zulu' and 'Zulu Dawn'

10 years spread across 8.5 billion only seems fair to me
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BBC Website
                    The world's wealthy nations want every African child to have access to a good primary school by 2015.
                    When we've done this, maybe we can aim at the same for the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X