• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restaurants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurants

When will they start learning to bring a card machine with the bill?
    Coffee's for closers

IT is meant to give you time to check that they have not charged you for something you never ordered. Or do the go dutch calculation.

Comment

It's to give the permies time to argue over who had an extra diet coke and a side salad.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        It's to give the permies time to argue over who had an extra diet coke and a side salad.

Considering you went to Pizza hut that shouldn't be an issue.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I always pay cash in restaurants, I don't trust people who earn NMW with my card especially when they wonder off with it.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I always pay cash in restaurants, I don't trust people who earn NMW with my card especially when they wonder off with it.
            they all have those hand held chip and pin machines these days.
            I tend to pay by card then leave a cash tip
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              they all have those hand held chip and pin machines these days.
              I tend to pay by card then leave a cash tip
              Quite right too.

Helps stops the owner pocketing it.

BTW some restaurants do bring the card machine with the bill but they tend to be at airports and with Polish staff.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Quite right too.

Helps stops the owner pocketing it.

BTW some restaurants do bring the card machine with the bill but they tend to be at airports and with Polish staff.
                I started tipping cash when I discovered a chain that used tips to top wages up to minimum wage and then pocketed the rest. Granted it was mainly an NI scam but it was enough for me to ensure that I always give cash tips to the waiter/ess in person.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  I started tipping cash when I discovered a chain that used tips to top wages up to minimum wage and then pocketed the rest. Granted it was mainly an NI scam but it was enough for me to ensure that I always give cash tips to the waiter/ess in person.
                  No it happened all over the country however in England and Wales Nu Labour changed the law* so the staff have to be paid National Minimum Wage.

Unfortuantely they didn't stop restaurant owners pocketing your entire tip. So I never leave it on a card just so the restaurant staff can at least pocket some of it.

I also have massive arguments with people when we are in a group and they state there is a compulsory service charge as I won't tip a penny more. If the charge isn't compulsory I ensure the tip is more than the percentage in cash.

*Don't know about the rest of the UK
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Pay by card, tip in cash. If it says "optional tip" I cross it off and pay what I think the tip should be depending on the quality of service.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X