• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outsourcing to India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outsourcing to India

How much will the contract market erode in the UK in the future as a result of all the outsourcing to India?

I am beginning to find it more difficult now to get contracts because of this.

You need to move your skills 'upstream' where it's more difficult to transfer those skills abroad.

Or change into a niche area.

No one can afford to sit back on old skills and expect the work to still be there.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Outsourcing moves on, no end in sight. I see that where I work, in house teams gradually getting smaller. Ocasionally a new project will pop up which will create a new couple of "semi-permanent" contractor positions, but on the whole outsourcing marches on. The way I see it though if you are a "nicher", I think there is a beneficial effect in that there are hardly any "homegrown" newbies now, so you don´t have to worry about young competition like you used to.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by PatriotMan View Post
        How much will the contract market erode in the UK in the future as a result of all the outsourcing to India?
        It's not just India you need to worry about it's any place in the world that is cheaper than the West.

There are loads of English speakers around the world particularly in IT, so as already said you need to move your skills up a level.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My skillset is niche and so is the amount fo work available, but as said this has been exacerbated by outsourcing.

Perhaps some people see outsourcing as a good thing due to the amount of money that can be saved, but on the flip side people in various economies such as the UK and USA suffer from it. In 10 or 20 years time IT contrcators in the UK will have no work at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=PatriotMan;1373195]
            Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            It's not just India you need to worry about it's any place in the world that is cheaper than the West.
            SueEllen here are some interesting stats for you, perhaps it does not affect your or some of the other member s of this site, but in the future this could be a potential problem for UK IT contractors if companies continue to outsource.

"More than 1.3 million additional Western jobs will vanish by 2014 due to "the accelerated movement of work to India and other offshore locations," says the study released Nov. 15 2010. Hackett doesn't talk of this as good or bad, but as something that will be a reality ? and a challenge ? for more Western businesses. Hackett says the pace of job erosion has nearly doubled this decade."
            Investors.com Dec 2010

India
            Outsourcing index: 7.1

India is the leading country for offshore outsourcing. The offshore outsourcing industry started in India and it has be able to grow the IT and BPO export sector to $47 billion and capture more than half the offshore outsourcing industry. That is not to say that India does not have challenges or is the best location for every offshore outsourcing effort, but it has an unparalleled history and size.
            The Americas and Europe are the largest customers for the Indian outsourcing industry and account for 60 percent and 31 percent respectively of IT and BPO exports. The largest vertical sectors are financial services (41 percent), high-tech/ telecom (20 percent), manufacturing (17 percent) and retail (8 percent). In 2009 the IT and BPO export industries employed about 2.2 million people.

Last edited by administrator; 8 August 2011, 09:18. Reason: Link removed.

Comment

What's your point?

As others have said, you need to skill up or ship out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                What's your point?

As others have said, you need to skill up or ship out.
                Whats skilling up go to do with it. If companies decide to outsource then skilling up doesnt make one bit of difference unless I move to India.

Can I ask what skills you have ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  What's your point?
                  It's some ranting point about India.

When in fact he hasn't realised that some companies prefer to have outsourcing partners from other places including various countries in Eastern Europe, Turkey, Malaysia and South Africa.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's some ranting point about India.

When in fact he hasn't realised that some companies prefer to have outsourcing partners from other places including various countries in Eastern Europe, Turkey, Malaysia and South Africa.
                    I am using that country as an example as they are the country that most companies will use and they have a large pool of IT people.

Comment

Working...
                    X