• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxpayer ‘stuck with banks for the next decade’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxpayer ‘stuck with banks for the next decade’

The state could hold stakes in RBS and Lloyds for a decade amid fears that tough ICB reforms could scupper a sale altogether

British taxpayers face the prospect of holding stakes in two of the country’s biggest banks for at least a decade, senior City sources say.

Stiff new regulations, coupled with stringent reforms to the sector proposed by the Independent Commission on Banking (ICB), have killed investor appetite for British bank shares.

Taxpayers are already sitting on paper losses of close to £30 billion on the state’s 83% shareholding in Royal Bank of Scotland and its 41% holding in Lloyds Banking Group.

Two years ago UK Financial Investments (UKFI), the government shareholder body, valued the stakes at £65 billion.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Good, I want the govermin to keep bailing out the banks while the bank has my warchest.

Besides, I only pay minimal tax, seeing as I'm on minimum wage.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If they both had their investment arms split off and then had their crap assets truly laid out in the open, the remaining good parts would probably be worth more than the whole bank is worth today. This will never happen because the boards and the government are deluded into thinking that if they wait long enough everything will sort itself out. Whereas in reality the bad side of the banks will keep eating away at them, like a virus destroying its host, until the whole lot is worthless.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Nothing high inflation can't sort out in a long run ...

Comment

Working...
        X