• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ouch - Aircraft engineer sucked into plane engine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ouch - Aircraft engineer sucked into plane engine

A New Zealand man has died in a horrific accident when he was sucked into the engine of a turbo-prop airplane

What is it with New Zealanders and safety? Last week it was a hovercraft accident now this week a C-130.

The 51-year-old aircraft engineer had been working on the engine in a testing facility at Woodbourne airport, near the South Island town of Blenheim.
    Sources said the engine, from a giant C-130 Hercules, was mounted on a testing frame, in a remote corner of the airport, and not attached to an aircraft at the time.
    Colleagues found the local man, named as Miles Hunter of nearby Renwick, dead when they arrived for work on Monday morning. They called emergency services, who battled unsuccessfully to revive him.
    One source said the engineer had entered a testing enclosure while the engine was running.

The man's employers, Safe Air, an engineering subsidiary of the national carrier Air New Zealand, said he died while carrying out routine maintenance.
    Safe Air does maintenance and repair work on civilian planes and on military aircraft for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
    Rob Fyfe, chief executive of Air New Zealand, flew to the scene after being briefed about the disaster.
    Inspector Steve Caldwell, area commander of the Marlborough police district, said: "Police are investigating this death on behalf of the coroner, who will determine the cause of the death in due course."
    Health and safety officials have also begun their own investigation.
    I think not!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

This guy survived.

Me, me, me...

Comment

Its a Propeller Revolution

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Reminds me of NHS readcodes. There is actually a readcode for 'sucked into plane engine' with a further differentiation between 'commerical' and 'military'.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Reminds me of NHS readcodes. There is actually a readcode for 'sucked into plane engine' with a further differentiation between 'commerical' and 'military'.
          What about private contractor A/C?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X